Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
2004 Ford Territory 4 sp Dual fuel
2006 Ford Territory 6 sp Dual fuel
I had to replace fuel tank and I've now thrown ABS and AYC lights. Codes say RR FR Wheel speed sensor error which suggests I've interfered with the joining point or "main line" of the speed sensor harness which is up in the guts above the tank -_-
Need a diagram or something to show me where all of the harness runs, hoping I won't need to drop the tank again to get in there because FUCK THAT
-----SOLVED-----
I clinched the "Fuel harness" (in diagrams) between the fuel shield/tank and the body of the car. The fuel harness carries the speed sensor signals :)
Luckily the body side of the harness was fine and I only wrecked the fuel tank side of the harness so my solution was to take the plug of the fuel harness, run new wiring across the front of the tank and solder it into the harness at the inspection plate under rear seats.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
SOLVED - lol

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
So after awhile the gremlins arose again.
I can't see any wiring issues where I joined the harnesses.
Using wiring diagrams for SOHC 6a1, the plugs and diagrams all seem to match up and make sense.. I have determined the pins for all four wheel sensors..

Before proceeding, If I am missing something or am barking up the wrong tree here let me know haha, I am basically trying to identify if the rear sensors have failed and if there is a wiring fault between the sensors and the ABS module. If there is a better way to do this let me know :D
The sensors themselves are incredibly awkward to unplug as they are connected up above the rear axle, so while this may seem obscure I think it is easier to test at the module than at the sensor...?
Avoiding jacking up the car, spinning wheels, removing sensors etc.

Can anyone with a multi-meter check the resistances of their ABS sensors, from their ABS module end of the harness for me?

I've gotten a solid reading for what I believe are the two front sensors but I am getting nothing from the two rear sensor pins.

IMG_20190316_211414.jpg

Lift orange tab up and the connector will eject itself.

Check the following:
Pinout ABS.JPG

Front Right sensor: Pins 19 and 20
Front Left sensor: Pins 1 and 2
Rear Right sensor: Pins 22 and 23
Rear Left sensor: Pins 5 and 6

Alternatively if anyone knows the functioning ABS sensor resistances that would be great too :p
Supporting diagrams below:
Wheel sensors.JPG
ABS.JPG

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Well the circuit diagrams aren't accurate.
Rear wheel.JPG

Rear ABS sensor is actually on Pins 21/22, I pulled the plug apart to check which wires went where...
if I could get a resistance reading from someone on those or on a rear ABS sensor that would be mint.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Removed all wiring for rear speed sensors, no issues withwany of it. Replaced the sensors themselves, codes still there so no idea why...
Fixed AYC by replacing alternator and battery ;)

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
I know the speed sensors should have a resistive value of 1400 ohms.
Did you cut n join the rears or find a way to get to the plugs? I tried my rear lhs sensor today, could barely get 2 fingers onto it...
Probably have to drill out the dodgey one and find a generic replacement.

Top Bottom