When turning car jerks and feels like i have welded diff?

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
So you think it could be the transfer case and not the rear diff? When I turn let's say left the left wheel locks up and just drags and hops.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
See here on how to remove the lsd from the transfer case

And here shows you what happens when the bolts break. "If" it's an lsd you may have just smashed the open diff to pieces but the symptoms definitely sound like a lsd with broken bolts.

So you think it could be the transfer case and not the rear diff? When I turn let's say left the left wheel locks up and just drags and hops.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Drain the rear diff oil and see

I replaced the diff fluid and it didn't look terrible. But it did seem to make worse sounding but a bit better! Is there anything specific I would notice with the old fluid?

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Metal shavings or similar. Could be a dead CV joint you'll have to take it apart to find out
So I did a little more testing.

I have changed the rear diff fluid, which I think seem to free the wheel a bit more so it's not actually dragging/hopping when I make circles like it did.

Today I jacked the car off the ground and moved every single wheel individually and fronts were fine the back two were fairly tough and I had a friend hold one side while I spun the other one and it was pretty tough but definitely not as bad as it was before I replaced the fluid.

So I'm curious if I should drain the fluid again and put some like royal purple friction Modifier in there and continue doing my circles and hopfully it breaks free more or if I should just remove the diff and open it up? Thanks any insight or advise would help greatly!

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
But your not going to know unless you take the diff out and having a look what it actually is.
Thanks for the input I think I would take it out today! There is a sticker on the diff would that identify if it's a lsd or not if I search it up?

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Still not 100% definitive but likely an open diff.

However, I used my open diff cover on a viscous lsd diff housing to get the bolts to line up without using spacers. So looks like a open diff cos the sticker goes with the cover.

Viscous lsd RH driveshaft has two splines. One for engagement with the viscous coupling unit. Pop the driveshaft out to check.

Or someone could have built a mechanical lsd centre into that housing.

Still worth taking the cover off to see whats going on inside if you are concerned.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeas as he said the sticker doesn't mean anything if someone's been in there and put an LSD into the open case. This isn't something you can diagnose over the internet, just gotta pull the diff out and see what's going on.

Heatmakerz

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Yeas as he said the sticker doesn't mean anything if someone's been in there and put an LSD into the open case. This isn't something you can diagnose over the internet, just gotta pull the diff out and see what's going on.
Tomorrow I shall pull out and check never have done it before but doesnt look to difficult.

If it is a open diff then would the problem forsure be with the transfer case?

Top Bottom