whereisleigh aka Leigh // Melbourne - VIC

G

Unregistered
Hi all,

Leigh here, I'm new to OZVR4 as a prospective new legnum owner. a little about me:

Currently driving a Lexus IS200 sport-luxury with a little bit of work done to it, and in the process of selling it to make way for something a bit bigger.
I've always loved the legnum, and have considered buying one quite a few times in recent years. (i've watched various OZVR4 threads from afar for a long time now!!)
Basically, my two loves are cars, and playing live music. I've recently bought a HUGE bass amp that just doesn't fit in my lexus, and gave me just another reason to bite the bullet and move to a VR4.

An owner of a 99 legnum VR4 type S auto recently responded to my online ad for my lexus(unsure of the forum rules regarding buying/selling cars, so i haven't listed the website here!) to offer a swap, so i'm hopefully checking out the car some time this weekend/next week.

If it all goes to plan, you'll probably see a fair bit of me on here, as i already have a LOT of plans for the car!

Cheers
LK

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Welcome Leigh, I'm sure you'll pick up even more helpful info now that you're here. Hopefully you can get your bum in a Legnum soon and get started!
What are the plans?

G

Unregistered
Cheers Tom, Keen to get started! I think if this swap falls through, i'll look for a legnum once the IS has sold anyway...
i'm just starting out with basic plans for now, a few mods here & there but as we all know how modifying goes, it'll probably never end... i guess my first post saying "a lot" is a bit bold here given what some members get up to with their cars, and i'm still learning my way around what will and won't work.

I'd love a manual, but the one on offer is an auto. so if i go for that i was thinking a high-stall to start, and want to look into the Evo X paddle-shifter mod i've seen in the how-to's on here.
if i don't go for the swap, and find a manual instead, i'll be looking at some evo (not sure which yet) gearsets and a short-shifter straight off the bat to get me started.

it's going to have to be a daily driver so i'm still doing my research into which performance mods are going to give me the best bang for buck, without compromising drivability. any help/tips/advice here would be great!

as for cosmetic stuff, i'll just be going for basic stuff. i love the look of the facelift just as it is, so it won't need much IMO. A dark tint, some 17x8 +34 wheels (after trawling the offset/wheel size thread i've come to the conclusion that that's an ideal fitment for a daily-driven VR4).

one quick question, and TBH i haven't even looked so ignore this if i should just be looking harder. i'm assuming it's easy enough to mount a PFL rear spoiler onto a FL legnum? i like the sleeker look of the PFL spoiler...

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Not easy to mount the prefacelift spoiler as the rears are different on pfl-fl, but i guess it depends how deep your pockets are cause i believe it's been done in NZ

G

Unregistered
Fair enough, if it's not a fairly straightforward job, I think i'd rather save the cash for improving performance etc...

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Or buying my Super Wing, hehe ;)

Welcome aboard, besides your views on width and offset being incorrect :)P just joshing), its good to have you online!

G

Unregistered
as in Super-VR4 wing? they're huge!!! but suit the Super VR4 so well.

Yes well, my views on width/offset etc seem to have already been challenged; went for a test-drive on saturday night, and the Legnum i drove is sporting 19x8.5 with +whoknowswhat as the offset, great fitment, but i think it may be just a little bit big. Now thinking 18s might be the way to go, i'm just not sure if 17s will fill the guards after seeing this monster on the weekend.

I am now completely convinced that i want, no, need a Legnum after having test driven this one on the weekend. Now just waiting to hear back from the owner if he'll accept my offer or not!

Wish me luck...

G

Unregistered
haha, i have already scoured the wheel threads, and in terms of finding a balance between looks, handling and affordability (19 inch tyres cost TOO much!), i think i am going to have to settle for something in the 17-18 inch area... but we'll see how that goes haha

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
haha, i have already scoured the wheel threads, and in terms of finding a balance between looks, handling and affordability (19 inch tyres cost TOO much!), i think i am going to have to settle for something in the 17-18 inch area... but we'll see how that goes haha

Having seen plenty of pictures and cars in the flesh I'm pretty set on 18's as the perfect size for these cars. Anything bigger and the tyres start getting a bit rubber-bandish (and as you said expensive!). Some of the 17's in aggressive widths/offsets look great like the R33 rims but I reckon 18's are the perfect middle ground to fill the guards without being stupid.

G

Unregistered
I reckon you're right, I've decided to go for 18" rotas, basically because they look like RAYS but I'm poor so can't afford the real deal... haha.

G

Unregistered
Howdy Leigh, you won't regret getting a Legnum :)

G

Unregistered
@ Smitty, based in clifton hill now, but grew up in Woodend Vic, just at the bottom of Mt. Macedon!

So the deal with the Legnum i was going to look at fell through... now looking at a few on offer both landed already, and some at auction to possibly import.. guess this might take me longer than expected!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Isn't that half the fun?

I've got a good mate who moved to Woodend last year. Mmm, Holgate brewery...

G

Unregistered
Been a while since i posted, and had a bit of a change of heart... After being dead-set on a VR4 for a long time, a toyota Caldina GT-T caught my eye and i was sold... Found one in japan that met my needs and it leaves for oz today.. pretty excited, there's a piece of me that still wants a VR4 but these caldinas are pretty cool!!

edit: Mmmmmmmmm, Holgate's...

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah I was considering the Caldina's too myself once upon a time! The newer models look SUPER cool, unfortunately they are about $20k imported. And I'd had enough of driving whining four-bangers :p but they do have some nice upgrades off the shelf and Toyota reliability.

G

Unregistered
Yeah, the newer models look amazing in the flesh. I have seen a few of them becoming quite cheap now, around the $15k complied mark, but the fact you can't get 'em in manual was a bit of a put-off. Still, this new toy should be pretty sweet.

Top Bottom