Which spark plugs are really the best?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
My IK's lasted for 45k so....

As for smaller gaps, yes it can work if you're struggling, I've tuned cars running 0.6mm and they've worked well, but 0.8 works fine if everything else is working and this is up to 19 psi so why go smaller if you don't need to? If you're struggling with spark it may get you out of trouble though (but I'd say you should fix whatever is causing 0.8 not to work).

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
In another thread Christian suggested that the VK22G has stainless steel washers.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Scottie if you look into that pdf you posted.. in page 7... read the part where it shows the spark plugs for the IK and IQ... it states that 'IK G equips a stainless steel gasket'

*edit* attached jpg

Denso Power & Tough Spark Plug Guide.JPG

seems like we can also use IQ/VQ22 it'll sit about 2.5mm higher on the terminal end..

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Cheers TME_Steve.
So should we buy the VK22X which are pregapped to 0.8? or VK22G and just gap them ourselves
Any down sides to running a 0.6 gap? Really only have enough time and borrowed help to pull the plugs out once and get a tune once. (F#$%en takes all day to change them!)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Robert, VK22 plugs are already pre-gapped to .8mm

no need to re-gap it unless you want it to have less than .8mm which in my opinion is not needed..

and it only takes a good 1.5 hours to do the plugs on these.. :p you're in NSW, im pretty sure one or 2 guys down there wouldn't mind giving you a hand..

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Thanks Christian.
Ill get my plugs first and see how I go!!!

Cheers

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Robert, VK22 plugs are already pre-gapped to .8mm

no need to re-gap it unless you want it to have less than .8mm which in my opinion is not needed..

and it only takes a good 1.5 hours to do the plugs on these.. :p you're in NSW, im pretty sure one or 2 guys down there wouldn't mind giving you a hand..

Pfft 1.5 hours, you need more practice, 50 mins tops :) and yeah 0.8 is fine.

Cheers TME_Steve.
Not sure what for but no worries :)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Scottie if you look into that pdf you posted.. in page 7... read the part where it shows the spark plugs for the IK and IQ... it states that 'IK G equips a stainless steel gasket'

Haha so is that just the washer on the plug? So go for G or no?

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Okay so ive started experiencing what I think is a misfire when you give it a boot full.

Ill check the gap on my plugs when I get a first chance, and clean the coilpacks and ignition leads
cars running 18psi
and the plus were changed to NGK irridiums(again, I'll check the gap)
At 100'000, which was 31'000kms ago

Whats like likelihood that the plugs have fouled and causing my miss?

Scradam

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
Manual Series 2 VR4 Legnum
If you've been running 18psi, that'd be my first bet. 31,000kms is a decent life.

G

Unregistered
Yes, even for them. If you can get 40,000kms out of them, count yourself lucky.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
So is it worth going for iRridiums again or just Back to coppers? I'd be lucky to get 10'000from coppers at 18though wouldn't I?

G

Unregistered
Unless you enjoy replacing them at every oil change, go for the iridiums.

Performance issues and impracticality of replacing them that often aside, the cost would work out the same over 40,000kms.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Alright cheers
lifters need doing anyway and I really don't want bloodied knuckles so I might get MEEK to change plugs and lifters for me.

So we're reccommending .08mm (VK22)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
VK22.. wont totally solve your issue... you might get 50-70k kms out of them with your oe coils and HT leads, this depends on what conditions they are in..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Maybe, if you read through this thread you'll see I got only about 15k with my iridium plugs and 18ish psi boost, that was also running leaner than stock though so given you don't know what the tune in your car is they may last longer. I think copper plugs lasted me 3 days with that level of boost too, or was it 4, I can't remember :lol: If you're running 18psi I'd be very surprised if they are gapped at any more than 0.8mm too.

Anyway, VK series Denso's are the best we have found and there is that guy's coil on plug setup that will help more too.

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Where's the best place to source vk22s?
Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom