Which spark plugs are really the best?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
The consensus seems to be VK22 for longevity and IK22 for outright power.

To make things a bit more interesting, Denso have just release an iridium twin tip spark plug: http://densott.com/

Denso claim they'll last 160,000klm+

Other claims:

- Smallest tip in the market (0.4mm).

- "Omni-directional explosion", which is marketing BS for larger and better combustion so more power and better economy.

- Highest iridium concentration of any spark plug.

- I saw one Ebay seller state an economy improvement of at least 2% after fitting these twin tip plugs.

Any thoughts on these twin tips?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I don't think anyone here's tried the Iridium TT's but I have no doubt that it'll outlast platinum tipped (ground electrode) spark plugs

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
The consensus seems to be VK22 for longevity and IK22 for outright power.

To make things a bit more interesting, Denso have just release an iridium twin tip spark plug: http://densott.com/

Denso claim they'll last 160,000klm+

Other claims:

- Smallest tip in the market (0.4mm).

- "Omni-directional explosion", which is marketing BS for larger and better combustion so more power and better economy.

- Highest iridium concentration of any spark plug.

- I saw one Ebay seller state an economy improvement of at least 2% after fitting these twin tip plugs.

Any thoughts on these twin tips?

Interesting! I might consider these for my next set.

G

Unregistered
The TT plug seems to be intended for markets outside of Japan where they don't sell the Iridium Toughs.

Overall they are almost identical to the Toughs, except the ground electrode protrudes slightly on the TT.

Both the Toughs and the TT feature a laser welded 0.4mm centre electrode (actually all Denso Iridiums do), and both have a platinum ground electrode.

However the TTs are not available in a gap to suit the 6A13TT. All the TTs are pre-gapped at 1.0mm and factory spec gap is 0.7 - 0.8mm with replacement due at 1.1mm. Keep in mind it's recommended you don't re-gap iridium plugs.

The TTs do have one plug in the correct thread/reach etc but it's only in the standard "20" heat range and there is nothing colder available.

I would also take their claimed lifespan with a grain of salt. NGK and Denso used to advertise their other iridium plugs as lasting 100,000kms a few years back but seemed to have backed away from that lately.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Ford/ Denso Iridium GSP22YE07

These are about $60 set on Ebay and are used on Turbo BA-FG Fords.
Genuine Denso plugs pre gapped at .7mm
Used them and can't feel any difference to NGK or Denso V22.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Ford/ Denso Iridium GSP22YE07

These are about $60 set on Ebay and are used on Turbo BA-FG Fords.
Genuine Denso plugs pre gapped at .7mm
Used them and can't feel any difference to NGK or Denso V22.

IMO, I don't think you will feel much difference on the first 20k kms. After that might be a different story as the plugs been used for quite some time.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
I hear you mate. I maybe do 10k per year in the Galant but service it twice a year other than the auto which is 18 months.
Even copper plugs are fine as it's probably 20 minutes only to get to the rear bank. Why would you chose to run any highly priced plug for claimed periods around the 100k kms?
Oh and any time I've checked or removed my plugs they mostly don't take anything to crack, seem to come loose eventually

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I hear you mate. I maybe do 10k per year in the Galant but service it twice a year other than the auto which is 18 months.
Even copper plugs are fine as it's probably 20 minutes only to get to the rear bank. Why would you chose to run any highly priced plug for claimed periods around the 100k kms?
Oh and any time I've checked or removed my plugs they mostly don't take anything to crack, seem to come loose eventually

each to their own really. For me, not needing to change the plugs every 20k kms or so would help me alot, as I have to drive 45 minutes each way to get to my parents, just to do the plugs. Then spend about 2 hours looking for the 10mm socket that I had in my hand few minutes before getting distracted :D

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
each to their own really. For me, not needing to change the plugs every 20k kms or so would help me alot, as I have to drive 45 minutes each way to get to my parents, just to do the plugs. Then spend about 2 hours looking for the 10mm socket that I had in my hand few minutes before getting distracted :D
Thank ef it's not just me that does that! Went to the trouble of changing every hose clamp to 10mm only to get foiled by the missing 10mm socket, I'm messed up like that, must be the one from the set I'm using won't buy a spare or 2 or open another socket set...
Generally it's on the end of an extension, pocket, or in my other hand.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Need some expert opinion on my plugs. These are Denso IK22's, seems to run fine this is how they look after a 20km freeway run.

IMG_20220330_141449.jpg
IMG_20220330_141433.jpg
IMG_20220330_141425.jpg

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
I believe they are white, have added another fresh image taken over some white paper. Look normal I think.
IMG_20220401_163122.jpg

Top Bottom