Which TPS?

Endless

Idling at the Lights
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
Hey all,

Im trying to track down an annoying little misfire, and ive noticed that on my throttle body I have two TPS. One is three pin, which is the one that is being used, the other is 4 pin which is not being used. This concerns me because the plug is 4 pin. Is anyone able to confirm I am using the right TPS? The pink plug to the left of the strut brace is the 3 pin TPS, the 4 pin is to the right.
DSC_0145[1].JPG

Speltadelic

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dan
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
I am also trying to track down an annoying little misfire years later and have the same question, which side is which and is there a suitable replacement unit available for PFL auto with TCL

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
I have the 97 with TCL auto also. I can just about say it's not the TPS or the APS nearest to the firewall.
They may affect your base idle and a slight change in fuel economy. I had the occasional misfires up until a few months ago, eventually tracked it down to a loose lower inlet manifold runner.
Once you remove the fuel rail and injectors it's very easy. Mask up the runner before removing the nuts and spring washers.
Not a lot of gaskets around but I do have a spare Mitsubishi set somewhere.
A vacuum gauge like a mytivac is invaluable for finding this, low vacuum while cold, increasing only when warmed up.
Just a note, while you're at this point whack in fresh injector seals top and bottom.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 COTY
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1999 Honda Civic EX
Top Bottom