Who's got Optus Cable?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
We've had Optus Cable broadband since 2000 at my parent's house in Sydney.
Now, originally it was running through a PC with dual NICs to share the net to other PCs in the house.
Since I've left, it was uplinked from a Netgear Cable/ADSL router to give access to other PCs.
Everything worked fine. However, in the last month or 2 the existing cable modem died finally. Optus have come out & replaced it with a different model.
Now we can't get it to share the internet access with anyone?
I've tried multiple routers with no success. It seems to tie the modem through software to the MAC address of the PC you run the software on (I wasn't here when it was done). I've tried putting that MAC address in the router to fool the cable modem but to no avail.

Google searches only bring posts from years ago which aren't any help.
So, is there anyone out there who has recently changed their cable modem or signed up to it that is sharing the access throughout the house? It's giving me the shits having to go through my tethered phone on Optus mobile which keeps dropping out...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Sorted!!!!

For some stupid reason this particular model requires a crossover cable to connect to a router as opposed to a straight-through patchlead.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
My internet on my computer dies all the time when torrenting haha.. No other computer in the house dies out, only mine!! No idea why.. Then I got BTGuard and PeerBlock and it is fine =] But speeds do get throttled downwards.. Same with another friend with the same Optus plan =/

Annoying!

Oh, and disclaimer, using legit torrents I swear ;]

Top Bottom