Wide Rims and Tram Tracks

G

Unregistered
Wide Rims and Tram Tracking

Hey i thought i would post up now and see if anyone had the same problem i have had with slight tram tracking with my 8" wide rims, I was just wondering if it was a common problem or not, and what could the problem be?

I have had the wheels aligned, i am going to be getting new rubber soon so i don't know if that will make much difference?

So yeah, post up your thoughts?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
haven't had a problem with mine, the only negative I've noticed is that the steering is heavier - but to be honest I quite like it heavier anyway.

G

Unregistered
Mine is heavier which i don't have a prob with, but if you hit any sort of bumps or dodgy road in mine it starts to want to take over and drive where ever it wants

G

Unregistered
Tram Tracking? Do you mean how the car follows the road and goes to one side sometimes by itself a bit if the road is unevan?

Well from what I can tell anything over about 7.5" wide will always follow the road and groves more, its just wide tyres in general thats what they do. 7" or 7.5's would be better for less tracking.

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Im in the same boat mate, actually I think my wheels are way to BIG....plus being heavy Chrome 19 Inch.....lookin at going to 17's so i can actually have a turning circle for once.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
how wide are your wheels and tyres again James?

The turning circle is bad in Legnums anyway :)

G

Unregistered
I was told by a tyre place that tram tracking is more to do with the tyre groves more than how wide you go.

He said if you want less tracking and the best tyres get the Goodyear eagle F1's, BUT at $350 a tyre $1400 for all 4 seems alot. (235/40 R18)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
That is a lot more expensive than over here. That size goes for about $25-270 over here. Maybe shop around a bit more?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I would think it would be toe in or out being incorrect.

I had a similar issues on my focus it had 18x8's.

I took it back to the same place they said "no its fine, nothing wrong" i cracked the shits and went to bob jane they put it up on the machine and the toe was wrong, also needed hub rings but problems were caused by the toe in/out.

cheers,
brent

G

Unregistered
I have had the toe changed a couple of times, and it is better now then when i first had the wheels fitted, but i don't want to be forever going to the tire place just to get the toe right, also i am running Bridgestone RE05's i think 235/35, I just have to decided if i get new tires for these rims's, of just get new rims and tire's :S

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
the wider and lower profile you go the more it will "tramline"

G

Unregistered
Well I bit the bullet and got new tires today, Bridgestone Adrenalin's, i went 225's instead of 235's and they drive a heck load better then my old one's, i think the problem is fixed, i don't know what profile they are but there seams to be a little bit more sidewall to them

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Jason,

You have had these on for a week now, so how are you finding them??

Also for anybody with Enkei Rims, are you using the standard wheel nuts, or are there specific ones?

Regards

Gavin

Top Bottom