Window Tinting - Getting it done for $40 per window

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I'm getting my 2 front windows tinted to match the rest of the car on Sat for $40 per window. It's f1 tint which is good apparently and at $40 is a good price. If it all works out and it's a good job I'll update this thread after for the SA guys...

Anyone please comment if they think they can get a better price tho!

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Funnily enough it was left tinted, really dark too and the guys at regency looked at it too and passed it without comment... I was really surprised...

I'll get him to price the whole lot while I'm there and I'll post it to let you know the difference...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
The back window is already pretty heavily tinted.. Any more and it would be black! Which I personally find quite annoying - I'm getting a logo done for the back window, but the factory tint will make it rather hard to see... :(

The factory tint on the tailgate and rear sides appears to be a tint in the glass itself, not a tinting vinyl, so you can't strip it or get clear glass at all...

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I do like the tint and you're right, the rear is pretty dark! Anyone feel like rigging up the rear reversing lights with some HID kits so we can really see what's behind us? Can't wait for some updated pics Matt in the "Members' Rides" area :D

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah I went to the country on the weekend too but I forgot my camera... I'll wash it then take some photo's on the weekend...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Prefacelifts don't have the rear window tinted on about 80% of the cars. All facelift VR-4's have the rear window tinted.

The standard rears are 20% ie they let 20% of the light come in, and the darkest you are allowed to go over here is only 35%, UNLESS the car came with them from the factory. So I have 35% tints on the front windows :) Actually it will be slightly lower than that as the front windows will have a very minor tint on them already.

What is the darkest you can have over there?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Each state varies, but in WA the Road Traffic Vehicle Standards Rules 2002 state:
  • The windscreen must not be tinted apart from a band at the top of the windscreen, which must not exceed more than 10% of the windscreen depth or below the sweep of the wipers whichever is greater.
  • The tint on side or rear windows should not be darker than 35% visible light transmission (VLT), i.e. at least 35% of the available light should pass through the window.
  • Tinting must not be mirror like, as this can be a hazard to other road users and must not reflect more than 10% of the incident light.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
On this topic, be aware the cops do sting ya!

I was in Bendigo Vic, back in April, i got booked for talkin on the phone and done for my front window tint!! fact was i was not even on the phone!! ( i was talking through bluetooth thats wired into the car!! no handset insight! i was furious!)

Back to the tint, I had my outlander it had the privacy glass at the rear but front door windows had no tint (looked ugly) I went to tint a car said want to match it, they said its not legal, i said thats ok, dont mind! they put on 80% as long as they wore no liability.

Looked great, I know the cops in vic have the light sensors to test them so just beaware. I didnt get a fine for my windows, my argument was "I have only had the car for 3 weeks and your telling me a brand new car has illegal tint!, he said yes it does not comply? I said well you can go tell Mitsibishi that because Im not, i purchased teh car like this so it must be right..... then he just dropped the argument... although i did know it wasnt legal!

The Darkest Legal tint from tint a car is midnight express, its looks pretty good I had it on a previous car that had light factory tint.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I was in Bendigo Vic, back in April, i got booked for talkin on the phone and done for my front window tint!! fact was i was not even on the phone!! ( i was talking through bluetooth thats wired into the car!! no handset insight! i was furious!)
Did you fight it??

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Yeah i disputed it... by the time the court hearing came around , i had already moved to qld therefore to plead not guilty i had to go to court and it wasnt worth doing so i just paid it... but the demerit points go from the vic license no the qld :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sounds like 35% is the common number. That means then that all Legnums over there would in fact be illegal if they weren't factory tints.

We run into the same problem over here, some of the guys at the testing stations spend considerable lengths of time trying to peel the tint off, refusing to beleive it is stock! The cops aren't always appreciative either!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
We need a freaken Compliance Certificate to stick in the glove box listing the tint grade...

G

Unregistered
you can get permits at pits for aftermarket tint, i assume the same applies to factory tint, even if it is technically illegal..
ive had 15% mirror chrome tint on my current car on all windows (not windscreen) sicne december 2006, AND ive got it over pits twice lol... silly po po....

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Interesting lil' tid-bit from "Tint Professor" (Melbourne VIC)... called them up and asked them to do the front two windows and top windscreen strip (no problemo). The person had heard of the Legnums and wondered if the rear windows didn't have the UV protection built into the glass tint like the StageAs?

Be very interesting to find this out.

Quote was $120 by the way for their "Premium 1" tint.

Top Bottom