WTB/Advise - Stock components for rego/inspection

tim123

Idling at the Lights
First Name
T
Drive
None
Hi all,

In the process of purchasing a 1997 Legnum from QLD for a friend, we are trying to work out what will be required to swap out for it to go over rego / identity / inspection check in the coming weeks.

Conveniently I have a spare set of stock struts/springs but there are a couple of things I'm quite sure he'll need to swap out for the day. Possibly keen on purchase of the brakes if not over the top expensive but if someone wants to swap for a bit let me know and I can pass it on.

Car is shown below:
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?11464-FS-1997-Legnum-VR4-Donkay

From what I can tell, we'll need to swap out the following for a few days:
- Brakes
- Catch can (remove completely depending on how its rigged up)
- Coilovers (I already have the stock suspension sorted)
- Wheels?

The ECU may be an issue, I'll be checking it with my Innovate MTX-L wideband for emissions and can hopefully retune it if need be. (I dont think the sprint series are direct plug in so to fit a stock ECU might be a big mission)

The rest I'm hoping will be OK, will be checking if the exhaust will be too loud, if so then i may have to sort this out as well.

The amp and sub will be removed for the day, and a clean up in and out on the morning won't hurt our chances.

He is also after a set of the stock roof racks and cross bars to suit BMX bike if anyone can help out there.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend?

Thanks all!

Tim

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Wow, your mate picked that up for a bargain! Even with all the ass pain to get it rego'd here, its still a bloody good buy

I can help with a stock ecu if needed. If your friend doesnt want the brakes anymore, id be interested in some sort of swap - PM me to work something out ;)

tim123

Idling at the Lights
First Name
T
Drive
None
Haha we'll see what happens. I'm fairly jealous TBH I am helping him get this and then will probably take his old car as it's more practical for 2 car seats than my GTO :p

If he could get it over inspection as is he'd be happy as larry, I don't think he's keen to sell anything off it (likes the look of the big brakes) but I doubt he will be racing it around so might surprise me and let me know about a swap.

Other thing he will definitely need is a passenger side headlight and intake piece from above the grill to the airbox. He's good to pay rental on these components if that helps him get through. I've been reading up on brakes and from what I can see a lot of the skyline crew get through with bigger brakes as they have upgraded/swapped in bigger engines! I'll find out who to call and I'll ask if bigger brakes are something I need to swap back, my reading indicates they will just do a brake fade test on the rollers?

I'll have to look into what the stock injectors are, I have a spare set of 360cc which will clip into the same plug as the EVO 560ccs that are on there, then ECU replacement might be viable. Otherwise will start to be trouble :p

Tim.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
hopefully all the engine management/fuel delivery stuff can stay as is, unless it looks particularly different or messy inside.

its the external/visible stuff like big brakes, coilovers, intercooler, catch can, braided lines etc that will catch their eye at regency and make life a bit difficult

I have braided lines, slotted and drilled rotors, yellow/green stuff brakepads with stock calipers that i would swap (+cash) if he wasnt planning on using the big brakes to their potential :)

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
If I were you I would just remove the brakes, get some stock wheels (I have a set of stock BBS with good tyres he can borrow) and hide everything else as much as possible. If it looks stock, they won't look too hard. Engine bay will look stock once the coilovers and catch can are removed. The windows look dark in the night shot, hardly any tint passes insection here, I've seen even the 'legal 35%' fail', obviously privacy tint is fine. Make sure you get one of the last inspections of the day or just before lunch ;)

tim123

Idling at the Lights
First Name
T
Drive
None
OK sweet. I'll let him know.
He w
ill pull the front two window tint off the night before he goes to inspection. Do we have to book inspection far in advance?
Jonson I'll PM you when I have picked up the car and arrange those wheels for inspection day if thats cool. He works at a bottle shop so make sure to tell me your favourite drop and he'll definitely arrange something ;)

With the brakes I think he's fairly keen to keep everything as is, just needs something to pass. I might try the parts for sale section thru the week see if i get lucky and can rent some from a seller :p

Thanks all,

Tim.

Itchy Scrot

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
Legnum & scrotary
Are you getting it regency inspected (like it got defected) or just the checkups (first time rego'd in SA)??

If its only getting rego'd for the first time here, Im pretty sure if you're just buying it from interstate and getting it 'inspected' they just look at chassis numbers and compliance plates etc. They don't worry about modifications.
I could be wrong, but I brought over a Rx7 2yrs ago from QLD and it was really bad (I got ripped off hardcore :( But that's a whole different story), like it was riding on bump stops and had a straight through exhaust, and they 'passed' it explaining they were only looking if the numbers matched up. Ie, that it was the correct chassis number and that it was complied, not stolen or rebirthed etc.
BUT, that was a few years ago now, and with all the anti-hoon hype created by ACA (lol), who knows, they might have changed it.

To be 100% sure, call them and ask them specifically what they look at. You might have to call the Regency Park inspection facilities directly as I believe they are actually separate from Motor Reg people.

EDIT: Vehicle Inspection Tier 2 Will cost you $56(+$22 if im reading correctly?),
No appointment necessary,
You will need trader plates, a trailer OR a one-day pass to be able to drive it to the inspection facility (~$50?). Alternatively you could take your chances and lie saying your brother dropped you off with his trailer - seen this work once before. But if the cops catch you, you get insta-shot! LOL!

I reckon Im right about this. I remember stories now of how the Po-Po would lie in wait from the exit of Regency and defect vehicles that have just been inspection passed and newly rego'd too, thus making them go through a full roadworthy inspection! Such an asshole move!!

Top Bottom