Yahoo Auctions Japan purchasing

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Hi all,

I have found a couple items I am interested in on Yahoo Auctions.
I was using Import Monster's link to view it and signed up etc, but am not happy with all the fees.
For example:
Clock: 1200 yen ($15.40)
Jap Domestic Freight: 1200 yen ($15.40)
EMS Freight: 3000 yen ($38.50)
Import Monster commission: 2500 yen ($32)
Sub total: 7900 yen ($101.28)
GST: $10.13
TOTAL: $111.41

So...
1. Why is the import monster fees so large?
2. Why is domestic freight needed if using a courier (EMS)?
3. Why GST??? It's an overseas purchase!

All the fees blow the initial cost out of the water.
Is there a cheaper way to purchase from this auction site?

Cheers,
Pete

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Thanks, I have sent him an email.

Just not sure why all the other fees though... domestic postage, GST etc.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
cause importmonster is an australian business and you pay them, not the japanese fella.

same thing with jesse streeter if something comes via container.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Domestic freight is because most sellers on yahoo will only do domestic shipping. i.e. the EMS is import monster arranging shipping from them to you. Domestic is from seller to them

Their fee is large as they have a minimum fee to help cover costs such as having person their, shipping accounts setup, website maintenance etc. Streeters base fee is less, but is still there none the less

GST is GST on their services (or should be) as you are paying an australian company to provide for you. Again, streeter can avoid this as he is 100% japan based.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
So...
1. Why is the import monster fees so large? - This covers all employees wages and the rent for the warehouse (plus other random stuff).
2. Why is domestic freight needed if using a courier (EMS)? - The japanese seller doesn't really care about sending to AUS, so they post to Import Monster's warehouse in Japan. Then IM forward to you from there.
3. Why GST??? It's an overseas purchase! - It is only an overseas purchase for IM. For you, you are buying from a Australian Registered Business and are subject to GST.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
This is why Import Monster is great for large items i.e interiors, body kits, set of 19" wheels with rubber, engines etc. The larger the item and if freight is by sea then the more cost effective it is.

And that is way for small items many use Jesse Streeter.

P.S Awesome post from Scottie there, clears it up for all those new to the international purchasing game.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Wow thanks guys great replies!

yeah Jesse Streeter came back quite a bit cheaper.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Don't forget Lamp Imports ;)

I can import anything also and once i get some more time, i will be be putting up some items for purchase and stocked items.

I am expecting my first lot of stuff in 3 weeks.

PS. I actually worked at Import Monster for a couple of months while looking for a career. Aaron is extremely hard working and even the prices he charges don't justify his effort. Unfortunately it is expensive but that is just what it costs.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
True I did forget about you! Sorry! Might chat to you later about an exhaust...

The item is the clock on our dashes, its only $15 in Japan but works out to $75 through Jesse. I just want one to see if I can find a fibreglasser who would be happy to make us some gauge holders based on the clock mould to make it as factory looking as possible.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I actually have a clock shipping to me currently. I was going to use it for the same purpose but prob wont get around to it for a while.

Top Bottom