1975 Galant Coupe

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Jap 5spd's are not too hard to come by, they were fitted to Turbo Sigma's, L200's and late model Sigma's. The way to tell a Jap from a Borg Warner is by the bell housing. A BW has a normal looking bell housing set up but the Jap box has a solid bell housing with a join about mid way down the box.
The Astron II is also fairly easy to come by, I got mine from a $200 Sigma, lol. I think they were fitted to Sigma's from about 1985 and ran through the Gen 1 Magna's. Not sure about later model 2.6's
To get 150 rwhp I would go 48mm Dellorto's (you can get them new and stay tuned longer than Webers) If you go to Crow Cams they have a "find a cam" on there put in your info and they will find a sweet cam for you. Get some sweet extractors (you need Scorpion fitment in a 2.6 Galant, Sigma only extractors will foul the steering arms), nice system, and a heafty dose of 98 octane and I think you would be pretty close.
The Astron II put out about 130hp at the crank I am pretty sure so should be putting around the 105-115rwhp in manual form anyway.
You should do it mate, I will give you a hand anyway I can.
Parts are getting harder to find now, a complete Galant sedan was dropped at u pull it Elizabeth and was stripped in 4 days.
The Astron II head flows pretty good, that was the main upgrade from the Series I, I think the Series I was rated at about 115hp at the crank

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Damn you Jason - now you're really making me consider it! LOL

Below is the car in question:
Mags are long sold (runs stockies now) but they were 13x7 hotwires with 205/50/13 tyres and custom (read: mallet) roll of the guards all round to make em fit! :)

But I'm thinking buy it back, respray in the factory Beige (keep it more sleeper/original) and then Astron with Jap 5sp, 48 Dellorto's (as per your suggestion), extractors and weld up the diff!! :D

galant2.jpg

galant1.jpg

galant3.jpg

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
hrmmmm.... 15x7 & 15x8 - 8 Spoke Performance Superlights... mmmmm
in the charcoal finish!
hdr_superlite.jpg

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I love it, I had a pale blue one years ago with the same wheels, lol. You would be hard pushed finding 205 13's these days :eek:(

The Superlite's were on my short list until the very end, very cool wheel only made better by big sizes.

Depending on how much you want to spend on the respray the rest of it can be done fairly cheaply. Mechanically I wouldn't expect to spend more than $1000 doing a bit of scrounging and no more than $3000 if you wanted a lot of new stuff.
The best thing about having a Mitsubishi badge is stuff is cheap as no one wants it ........... yet. It wasn't more than 5 maybe 10 years ago you could buy a Datsun 1600 running and rego for $500.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
But enough about my car - More Q's for you with regards to the coupe. We know the colour, wheels and Engine but.....

• What will control the EFI? Is it mechanical EFI or some sort of aftermarket computer?
  • What Extractors/size exhaust?
  • What Brakes will you be running? (heard sigma struts can provide some sort of upgrade?)
  • What springs/shocks will you be running? Custom springs by Aurora (industrials)?
  • What's the plan for interior - original style or retrim with nice recaro copies or similar?
:D

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
  • Not 100% on the ECU yet. It will only need to be a very basic system so I will probably end up with a cheap Wolf or Haltech. I haven't played much with EFi on old cars so it is all new to me.
  • I have a twin pipe/muffler system for the back and that starts as a 2" so thats what my system will be. I don't want anything sounding too much like a Gemini or Hyundai eXcel, lol
  • It will have Sigma front struts and brakes. These need to be GH and are almost a straight swap, only need to change the strut tops.
  • Springs will be good old Kings Super Low in the front - $140 and always on the shelf. And I am still unsure on the rears. These cars tramp like nothing else so the rear will need a good think and sorting :) But I will most likely go with Industrials, they are pretty well priced and good quality
  • Rears shocks I am not sure until I have the diff sorted but the fronts are easy. Early model Commodore inserts fit into GH Sigma struts, they can go lower for lowering and have a stiffer rating that the Siggy.
  • Still not 100% in the inside. I have ordered some bright red carpet and thats as far as I have gone, lol. My particular coupe was optioned with a very rare interior and I am having massive difficulty finding any the same or similar. But the plan is to keep it pretty stock.................except for the carpet

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
I think they are about the only wheels I have seen for sale in Australia that have a decent offset choice like that.
Well maybe Simmons but hell they are ugly :eek:P

Done anymore to your old girl Tim??

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Nah that might be on the back burner for the forseeable future if I end up re-shelling the Silvia. Starting to think I should finish one project before I start on another!

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Yeah fair call. The process can be daunting enough at times with just the one, lol

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Got my new badge for the bootlid today :eek:) It is off of a late 70's early 80's JDM Scorpion/Galant but I think it looks cool and has the Jap "A" thingo symbol for Coupe.
Anyway it is now my new sig

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Got a bit bored today and the guy painting my car has been sick for the last few days so the progress has slowed :eek:(
I decided to head over to the shed and trail fit the "RED" parts I have been working on at home.
Let me know what you think.

This is one of my 15's with the chrome trim, centre cap and red wheel nuts. (hasn't been widened yet, just a test)
Redtestfit1.jpg

My freshly painted gril showing fit up of new 150w landing lights and red trim
Redtestfit3.jpg

My freshly painted tail lights with red trim
Redtestfit.jpg

This would be my fav pic so far. I just love how clean everything is for whats a 34 y/o car.

mickelmaster

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Michael
Drive
91 Madaz MX-5
Looking awesome, love the badge and red trim, its all the little things...

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Been ages now and nothing has happened, lol. Been sick and broke :eek:(
I am back at work 3 days a week now and should be full time again by end of October. I have 3 weeks holidays from 24th Dec - 18th Jan so I hope to get a shit load done to the Coupe then.
I still would love it done by March or there abouts, just gunna have to crank a heap of overtime.
I got my steering wheel redone in leather the other week, thats about all I have done, lol
Oh and I got my carpet

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
come on dude, more pics and updates!!!

lol, carpet looks good too

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Is it just the ebay stuff? If so, is it good? Cos I'm looking at getting new red carpet for the Silvia. Haven't seen it done yet so I thought I'd give it a crack. I want the plush pile rather than loop pile though.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Looks great =]

Top Bottom