7G Galant vs 8G Galant Rear END

karl_2ltgc

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Karl
Drive
Galant
Are the rear ends of 7g and 8g Galants interchangable? I'm talking 4wd cars here.
Ive got a 7G with 6a12tt and considering converting it to 4wd (currently FWD). Wondering if I can do it with 8G parts, or if I need 7G 4wd rear end,

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
You'll need the rear end of a AWD 7G Galant. I looked into this awhile ago before i got my E74A Galant.

And need to do some work on the front floor pan (because of transfer case and propeller shaft so basically you'll need a piece of the originally AWD floor pan, i actually had 3 but binned them as i end up having a genuine AWD Galant) plus you'll need the front cross member (also because its got the space for the transfer case as the standard V6 are different by memory)

Rear need the rear cross member and obviously the rear diff, propeller shaft,

Sounds like alot of work, kinda is but if you have all the parts only welding the floor pan to make space for the transfer case will take the longest - but the hard part is finding the parts to be honest doubt you find in Oz.

Im sure there might be a little more stuff to do as well but from all the people ive spoken to the floor pan is the most important.

But 8G stuff wont work, well no one i know has done it or heard its ever been done with the 6A12TT.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
If u do go ahead with this I have 2 complete rear subframe
Assemblies
With brakes, hubs, all arms and ayc diffs with shafts. Also have transfer cases and tail shafts.

karl_2ltgc

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Karl
Drive
Galant
Yea i know the floorpan is different, I actually binned the leftovers from the halfcut as at the time I had no intention of going awd. If the 8G was the same I'd probably do it, but I really doubt I'l be able to find all the 7G bits I need. I still have the gearbox and transfer case.
I reckon I'l just buy an evo haha.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I don't think the 8g rear end / subframe will work, from memory the tailshaft is closer to the driver compared to 8G..

unless you can just swap the rear axles.. then it may work

also someone from NZ has used 6A13TT on their 7G

Top Bottom