Carbon fibre engine cover

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4, Subaru B4 Legacy RS30
What do you guys think about getting a engine cover mould made so that we could get carbon fibre engine covers made at a reasonable price. I normally sell motorcycle panels but I have a factory that can also make car panels. If there was enough interest I would look at getting some made for club members. I don't know what they would cost yet but if the interest is there i will find out for you all.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Very keen, I have always wanted one - particularly one exactly like the ones made by the guy over on CVR4 a few years back. Finding/making me one would get you a significant discount on an engine ;) If it could be made with a little extra clearance for Coil on Plug that would also be nice.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
It would only need to be about 2.5mm higher at the front 3 bolt positions as the stock cover gets pushed up by the by the coil mounting bolts and the cover cracks around the bolt holes. And yes I am interested in one.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Could it just be spaced up with washers? I can fit my stock cover over my COP setup, but it is pretty tight.

G

Unregistered
Youv obviously not used the search function to see its been done twice?
Peter and myself have made them.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
But Peter no longer makes them, and I haven't seen a photo nor heard any more of yours since the first few - which were still in the development phase. If you make them now, post up a few pics of the quality and a price - I will probably buy one :). I would also think putting them in a 'For Sale' thread would bring in a fair bit of business - as almost everyones stock cover looks terrible these days.

G

Unregistered
Yea but I'm still perfecting the product as you know peters had numerous faults and miner hav similar. Milky spots so would like to get me purrrrfect first lol

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I thought Peters were perfected, but in any case I want one - so hurry up and perfect yours so I can buy one, mr do'er not say'er! :p

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Its not a big deal i will get one made anyway as i have access to a factory that can make a mold for one. I am finding out about it already and will post pics once one is produced. I had seem that others were playing with making them but that's all i could really find about them. Seemed hard to find a finished product that was easily duplicatable. I know getting a good mouds and a good finish is not easy so it would be interesting to have a try and see what can be done.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
watching with interest (y)

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
Would be very interested if they fit,over Coil on Plug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I'm keen, plus it would be cheaper on freight if its only coming from QLD. +1 for fitting over COP setup.

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I have emailed the factory already and just waiting for a reply at the moment. There is a lot of interest here and also on clubvr4 so its promising. I was going to ask that the pillars be spaced up when its made so its clears the coilpacks. Mine on my engine was totally shagged and needed replacing anyway. When i looked for one it seems that ordering one from mitsi is the way to go to have a mint one but the price is steep for a hunk of plastic.

Ideally i would want one that looks the same as the oem one with all the ridges and embossed logos. Then the embossed logos could be painted in whatever color you wanted for your engine. if this factory does not get back to me soon i will hunt out the other place that was emailing me about making molds a while back.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
The ones Peter made on CVR4 used stickers for the logos, I would think that would be the easiest way - honestly I would be happy to have one plain if it fit, wasn't too expensive and was available ASAP :)

This would be ideal (except I would want red instead of blue):
55d328bb-d9a0-5e12.jpg

I've no idea who made this (I would strongly suspect Peter), but it came from google images searching 'VR4 Carbon Engine'

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
mmmm fto red ones go faster lol

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I have emailed the factory already and just waiting for a reply at the moment. There is a lot of interest here and also on clubvr4 so its promising. I was going to ask that the pillars be spaced up when its made so its clears the coilpacks. Mine on my engine was totally shagged and needed replacing anyway. When i looked for one it seems that ordering one from mitsi is the way to go to have a mint one but the price is steep for a hunk of plastic.

Ideally i would want one that looks the same as the oem one with all the ridges and embossed logos. Then the embossed logos could be painted in whatever color you wanted for your engine. if this factory does not get back to me soon i will hunt out the other place that was emailing me about making molds a while back.

Embossed and painted sounds great, I remember the other guys having trouble because their stickers kept peeling off. I'd have mine done in green to match my Brembos and other engine parts.

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
I remember the other guys having trouble because their stickers kept peeling off.

That's all I could picture when I read they were stickers. Permanent finish would be the only way to go.

Oh, and count me in as interested also, my current cover is shagged and I refuse to overpay for a bit of plastic.

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
owwww wat I thought you guys were talking about hoods... dang :p

Top Bottom