DEAD AND GONE (first-guess "auto" issue; now O2 sensor/ECU instead)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Just sent an email to him, quoted that petition info also, he should get the message and source one.

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
just would like to say that in the staged mods thread if u drive an auto pleaseeeeee do work to your tranny before u start thinking power because 206kw + 376nm + two turbos + 4WD + 1.5tonnes + auto = oh oh i think something is wrong with my auto box

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
well i took my car to the mechanic today and he reckons that using the car in trip tronic mode is ill advised he reckons that by shifting the gears your self you mess with the computers logic there fore confusing it and putting it under unnecessary stress. so if that is true then maybe this might help prolong the life of our autos and yes the biggest killer of our autos is heat

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Hmmm, it sounds a bit strange that you're not able to use a factory feature built into the transmission. It makes me wonder why Mitsubishi bothered to give it a tip mode if you're not meant to use it.

So have you decided to rebuild the auto or go with a manual swap?

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
well i took my car to the mechanic today and he reckons that using the car in trip tronic mode is ill advised he reckons that by shifting the gears your self you mess with the computers logic there fore confusing it and putting it under unnecessary stress. so if that is true then maybe this might help prolong the life of our autos and yes the biggest killer of our autos is heat
Sounds like crap to me. If it's in tiptronic mode, all it does is respond to your input - and presumably ignore your input if you tell it to downshift when the resultant engine speed in the lower gear would be too high.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If you use tip mode to aggressively downchange all the time then yes you can overheat the gearbox. However what is even worse is driving it in 5th gear at ~55-75kmh. The torque converter is in use the entire time at those speeds and it heats up the fluid something chronic.

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
well i am getting my car back soon turns out it was an 02 sensor problem and some vaccume lines shitted then selves then the ecu shit it self did not know what to do so it went into limp mode any ideas on the problem $880 its going to set me back. as with the swap well i am confused as to how good or bad the autos are ssv where i bought my car from who deal with knox autos reckon they a good for 200kw stock others reckon they are piss so i dont know, but i am planning to sell my car or trade it in for a manual if i can find one

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Always depends on how they were treated BEFORE you got (or get it).
Just change fluids and keep doing it

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Ahh so there is 1 we can take away from the Dead Auto list.

Like everyone says, if they are treated correctly they can but up with a fair bit of power.

If i started running over 200kw, then i would be sceptical about the box but that doesn't mean that there would be any problems.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Gearsets are fine for over 200kw atw. Whats not fine is some of the weaker internal parts that are no good regardless of power.

Should've been recalled but Mitsi are just tight arses lol

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What exactly are they doing for $880? It doesn't sound quite right to me at this stage.

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
they ran all diagnostics on the car then replaced the vacuum meter and plus the tow fee from the mechanic to the auto place, any one know were there are import dealers in victoria best bet for me is to trade it in with a bit of a loan

G

Unregistered
I have a curious question about the auto conversion. As an example the awd eclipse auto has a specific feature programmed into the ecu that says the car is an auto and looks for specific inputs from the transmission. If said inputs are not seen the car will throw a code. I was wondering if the same is true for the VR-4's. assuming the logic is relatively similar and mitsu's cheapness with their vehicles that they would be pretty close in software just different based on the engine, how many wheel drive and subsequent transmissions offered. If this is the case your gonna have to get the ecu reflashed and thats another 2-300 dollars tacked on. Just a curious ?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
VR4's have a separate auto ECU. To do a conversion (I assume you mean auto to manual?) all you have to do with the auto ecu is loop the park selector switch sensor which will make the car think its in park so you can start it :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Not sure if it's the same with VR4/Eclipses but when I did the DOHC 24v 6G72 swap in my TR magna we used an auto Diamante ECU to run it. We just earthed out the neutral connector on the ECU which made it think it was always in neutral and it worked just fine with the manual box. I was getting 500kms a tank out of it too, so it worked quite well.

EDIT: Dawso beat me lol

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the hell you 2 are talking about !!! :confused:

Top Bottom