faint high pitched ticking noise when engine braking

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I've started predominately driving in tiptronic mode lately. I've since noticed a faint high pitched ticking noise coming from the front passenger side (right where the trans is) when engine braking in 3rd. It may do it in other gears but I've only noticed it in this one.

Now I'm not doing hard engine braking, I'm more or less coasting from 50km/h ish when cruising in my daily commute.

It's very faint, I have to turn off the stereo and wind up the windows to actually hear it easily.

Any ideas?

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I have no idea, but I can't see how they would be causing it? I meant braking using my gears, I'm not actually using the brakes, it's just coasting and downshifting.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I get this, I seem to remember it was something to do with a faulty TPS but it has never caused me any problems in 4 years so it's just been added to the leave until gets worse basket.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I get this, I seem to remember it was something to do with a faulty TPS but it has never caused me any problems in 4 years so it's just been added to the leave until gets worse basket.

It could be TPS I suppose as it does do it on very light throttle in third gear as well. It goes away as soon as you apply normal accelerating throttle.

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
98 manual, leather sunroof leggy daily. 700hp 94 RZ Supra weekender
hi i have just brought my first vr4 legnum and mine does the same thing but it is a manual.

Top Bottom