Legnum in OZ Gymkhana

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Hi Guys,

I will be competing in OZ Gymkhana tomorrow at Tailem Bend Motorsports Park (In my fairly stock Legnum). If anyone is going to be there, come over and say hello :). For those who are unfamiliar with the event:http://ozgymkhana.com.au/

If anyone in Adelaide is bored tomorrow and feels like a drive, spectators are welcome - there is an entry fee of $5 (or $10 per car) however. I will try and get some pictures and maybe a video or two of the Legnum getting around.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Hmm...wouldn't mind seeing how a legnun goes in that. Anyone else interested in going?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Things are going well, but its damn hot here! In the last round (only one I have timing for atm) I was 2nd in my class, and as my only competition is a pair of evo Xs and a pair of WRXes I must have beaten at least one of the evo Xs which is not bad for a wagon (with my bedding in the back for naps between runs)

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
It was too hot for myself and Misagh to drive down there. We need photos/video.

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
How did you go martin?
bit different from the 165?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
It did very well in the competition, but I will not know for sure until the final results are posted in a few days. As far as I am concerned, it is the best low level motorsport car ever - you can drive it daily, fit all your tools and spares + a set of wheels in the boot and still have loads of space to spare. It is also pretty quick, handles well (mine at least, spent pretty much 90% of the day on 3 bars AYC) and fairly cheap. The best bit was having a nap in the back with the seats folded down while most other guys were wishing that they hadn't filled their boot with scaffolding and fuel tanks. It was also in the 10% of cars there with working aircon, which I ran even though it sacrificed some KW (Totally worth the sacrifice with it getting up to 45 degrees in the shade where I was parked. However, there is always a but...

On the way home the transfer case dropped all its oil, making a lovely smoke cloud once it hit the exhaust pipe. It is still sitting on the side of the road, the RAA were supposed to tow it but the driver won't be there till 11 so I am about to go grab a trailer and pick it up myself. I have no idea of the cause or the extent of damage at this stage, but I am hoping that it is just a seal that has let go. The car still drives, but obviously I do not want to drive it with no oil in the transfer case. I also had two saperate issues through the day, the first was that the temperature guage frequently rose higher than I would like (I am sure that this is just a thermostat in need of replacing); the second (an issue that I have had twice before) was that under full throttle it would cut all power, feeling like a rev limiter only much lower than normal - about 4k RPM, but it was more a load issue (high load caused it, the RPM varied). This only happened as a momentary (1 second) stutter in the second last run, and as a much longer one in the last run (say 5 seconds). As I said, I have had this before, both times the ambient temp was above 40 degrees ad it would starte at high load only (above 80% throttle). The first time it happened I was driving from Mt Gambier to Adelaide and it got to the point where the car could barely move and kept stalling on the freeway near crafers. I managed to get to a servo at crafers and filled up the fuel tank (it would idle fine, but couldn't produce any power without stuttering). After I filled the tank (I had just under half a tank before hand) all was well for the rest of the day, and for a few weeks afterwards. It seems that the problem is triggered by heat, and gets progressively worse as you continue to drive with it - but is fixed if you stop for a while.

If anyone has any info RE the transfer case, or any of the other issues, please speak up :) I will make a new thread for these when I get time after the car is back at my house.

G

Unregistered
Fuel cut or start possibility for stall Maby?
try fitting a good FPR and a surge tank maby
Iv also noticed a drastic change in temp when converting to a larger alloy radiator as opposed to a standard one,the top tank on the stock radiators like blowing under extreme pressure and there is usually a hairline crack that forms in the upper section of the top tank below the cap, but again the alloy radiator fixed all these issues for me. Also good hoses are a good thing too.

well done none the less matey, you make the vr4s proud..

as for xfer case,what fluid do you run in it?
maby try SAFX, we used it in the time attack Evo8 I maintained and I'd get xfer case leaking probes with other oils like redline red or blue under certain conditions

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I think I've sorted my issues :)

Back on topic...
Results are out, and I came third in my class - aheah of both Evo Xs, but sadly beated by both WRXes (who finished 2nd and 5th outright, ahead of most of the modified 4WD field - so I'm not too upset). Among the people that I finished ahead of was my father in a V35 350GT Skyline (thank god!), a VE HSV GTS, a pair of Supras + every 'unmodified' car (Classes are split Mod/Un Mod - Un Mod still allows a few changes especially on turbo cars) except the two WRXes and a psycho driver in a Falcon (I got lost in one stage and got slowest time +5 seconds).

VR4s are not hugely suited to Gymkhana for a few reasons, weight/size and turning circle are the two biggest - mine being auto was another. I must say though, it felt good to drive - much better than I was expecting. It was particilarly good when it got into second gear and was in some of the more open, but still tight, sections of the course. The AYC lights would go up and down as it went from turn in understeer, lift of oversteer and then to a mid corner neutral slide as the power was fed back in - but it never betrayed my trust in its electronic brain to get me where I wanted to be. The brakes were adequate for once, no issues there; most speed is washed off on the approach to a corner through the steering angle of the wheels. I was also surprised at how easily it could break traction, but I did have old tyres on. It was obviously not as sharp as the EVOs, not as exciting to watch as the SALEEN (650HP the owner reckons) and looked a little out of place (I think most people thought it was the tow car for the skyline at the beginning) but the event made me love it just that little bit more - despite the breakdown on the way home!

The next event for it will be a hillclimb at Colingrove where my goal will be to beat at least one EVO up the hill, and on a more personal level, one particular Liberty GT STI (whom I beat last time in my Celica by 0.02 sec) and my dad's 350GT Skyline.

Pics may follow if I can organise them...

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Fuel cut or start possibility for stall Maby?
try fitting a good FPR and a surge tank maby
Iv also noticed a drastic change in temp when converting to a larger alloy radiator as opposed to a standard one,the top tank on the stock radiators like blowing under extreme pressure and there is usually a hairline crack that forms in the upper section of the top tank below the cap, but again the alloy radiator fixed all these issues for me. Also good hoses are a good thing too.

well done none the less matey, you make the vr4s proud..

as for xfer case,what fluid do you run in it?
maby try SAFX, we used it in the time attack Evo8 I maintained and I'd get xfer case leaking probes with other oils like redline red or blue under certain conditions

Thanks for the input :) Where did you get the alloy rad, and ~$?

I had Castrol Syntrax in it, what is SAFX? As for the stuttering issue, it happened initially cruising at 100KPH on the highway - and half an hour later the car could barely move, was stalling at 5KPH. After letting it sit for 5 mins it was all fine again - so I don't think it is a fuel pressure or flow issue, particularly as the car is running stock boost - what do you think? It did feel the same as running out of fuel though to some extent... Surely a stock Legnum doesn't need these items to be able to sustain highway speed for any length of time though, it must be something broken or failing. It seems strange to me though that the car will be perfect 99% of the time, and has had the issue on 3 occasions in as many months - each time the issue got worse the further I drove the car, with the amount of effective thottle (before the cut out) getting smaller the longer it went on. On each occasion I could not repeat the problem the next day... I will make a thread listing all the relevant info if the problems persist after I change the fuel pump, plugs, coils, injector filters and check all the wiring and IC piping thoroughly in the coming weeks.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
maybe ur fuel pump is getting old and cutting pressure....just a thought...

edit.... i would so love to do this sort of work in my car, cause ya just cant play on the roads....:blush:

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
on ya!!
specially at that temp

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
edit.... i would so love to do this sort of work in my car, cause ya just cant play on the roads....:blush:

There is another one on in a few weeks at Monarto in the BigW car park, and there is a 'come and try' entry option which costs $40 including a CAMS day license...

Would love to see a bunch of VR4s there, there are plenty of confused looks (from the other entrants and spectators that is) to go around ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
It would have been a hoot seeing that thing with the monster rear wing leaving the Evos behind. Auto, too!

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
There is another one on in a few weeks at Monarto in the BigW car park, and there is a 'come and try' entry option which costs $40 including a CAMS day license...

Would love to see a bunch of VR4s there, there are plenty of confused looks (from the other entrants and spectators that is) to go around ;)

just a little bit of a hike to SA from NSW.... and its would be a costly towtruck if anything went wrong...bahahahaha

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
just a little bit of a hike to SA from NSW.... and its would be a costly towtruck if anything went wrong...bahahahaha

Haha, oops - I didn't notice you were from NSW. It would still be worth it :)

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
did u find out ur problem with the cutting power...?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
did u find out ur problem with the cutting power...?

Not as yet. The car has been up on stands since the event as I am fitting new spark plugs and a COP kit. While I was there, I decided to replace the valve cover and spark plug tube gaskets (2 were leaking a bit). I have also changed all driveline fluids for good measure :) I am also putting a seal/filter kit through the injectors, and fixing all the missing insulation on the wiring harness. The last thing is to check the system for boost/vacuum*leaks, for which I am making a plastic bung with an air valve in to go in where the MAF normally goes. With all this done I am hoping to have solved the issue, failing that I will be replacing the fuel pump soon anyway. The issue is that I have only had the problem 3 times over 4 months and I can not find a way to make it repeatable, I have tried on several occasions to make it happen...*

Top Bottom