#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Hey guys!

Couple of weeks ago I bought my first VR4, a 1997 white Legnum. It's my first turbo car as well, so I've got plenty to learn but I'm keen to get started. Car was in fair condition when I bought it, but there's a whole list of things mechanical and cosmetic I'd love to do to it. Just a few more days till I get it back from the Mechs (new engine mounts, timing belt and brakes) but then I'll get set to work. Exciting times!

I'm a huge fast wagon fan and a huge Mitsu fan as well, so the Legnum was an easy choice. As much as I'm sure I'll be using this forum for advice, I'm also pretty keen on the social side of the car scene, so if any of you around South East Qld ever want to head out for a cruise or a meet or whatever, please let me know! It would be great to meet you all and see your rides in person.

If I can do this right, here is a photo of the beast as it was when I bought it :)[Image not found]

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Welcome to the forum mate. If u look in the QLD section we have a wash'n'yumcha meet and workshop day coming up over the next few weeks :)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Cool, I hope you aren't my long lost brother/clone, you just described me/my car.

Also, McPherson ay, do you strut?

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Cameron, looks tidy. Any mods currently done? As someone said before we have a wash/yum cha meet up this Thursday.

Where about are you in bris?

Cool, I hope you aren't my long lost brother/clone, you just described me/my car.

Also, McPherson ay, do you strut?

Attachments

• Oh-you-show.jpg
    Oh-you-show.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 4

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Welcome aboard, thinking we'll have a decent turnout at the upcoming wash meet now...

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Welcome, the Brissy/coast members get together quite a bit so yes Yum char this thursday near Mount Gravat.
Wow timing belt engine mounts and brakes, just a quick cheap service right off the bat:greedy:

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I'll try to reply to most of your in a timely fashion.

Keen for the meet Thursday night, assuming I get the beast back by then (fingers crossed!). Although I'm not sure if Yumcha is actually Yumcha or code for something, same with grape soda. Either way should be fun :)

Pretzil, I have spent my fair share of time on the catwalk... The guy I bought this off was named Cameron as well, plus this is my third white mitsubishi wagon in a row, so it must be fate.

Thanks for the link to the tow hook cover, I've hit him up and am waiting to hear back. I don't know why so many VR4s are missing them, do they just have a tendency to fall off? I don't necessarily mind the look in terms of style line of the front lip, but the area where it was it a bit untidy and not smooth, so will try and get one ASAP.

I'm on the north side of the city near Chermisde. But I work over at East Brisbane and am happy to drive all over :)

Jungle, yeah just a quick budget tune up to get everything in order... haha.

Thanks whats_doing, it's fairly tidy, but not as tidy as I'd like it to be. Still deciding what path I'm going to take it. Not full stock looking sleeper, but was thinking tastefully aggressively styled partial sleeper, if that makes sense? Haha. Heck I'll probably end up throwing an Evo vented bonnet on it and go all out.

In terms of mods, I haven't done anything to it yet, but here's what it had when I got it:

18" Alloys with 18/45/235s all round, gun metal grey (plan to plasti dip to black asap)
Turbosmart Megasonic dual-trumpet BOV. Both trumpets venting to atmo currently - going to get the bits off Turbosmart to plumb back the primary trumpet and leave the secondary venting.
HDI Electronic Boost controller (7.3psi on Low setting and 14.7 on high)
Turbo timer
Aftermarket front-mount intercooler. Black, not sure if it was bought black or if some tool painted it??? But paint seems to be coming off, so keen to get it back to the standard silver.
Aluminium radiator
POD filter in custom built airbox with perspex lid. Built into the corner of the engine bay where the battery used to be, with a very JDM-style ducting running into the vacated passenger-side fog light hole for cold air feed.
Battery relocated to the boot.
Short-throw manual shifter (manual from the factory)
AYC from factory
Ralliart gear knob (+25kw)
Head unit
Cadence sub
Pissweak amp
Boost gauge
Kakimoto exhaust (Cat back, I think? Was imported with it fitted)
Slotted rotors on front
Vold gauge
HIDs

As I said, I haven't done any of this, and am still deciding on my plans for the direction of this car, so I won't be offended by any criticism of these mods or anything like that, and welcome feedback, ideas or suggestions :)

Apologies for the long post (TL;DR) I'll try and put some pictures up if I can make it work.

$_57 (1).JPG
$_57 (2).JPG
$_57 (3).JPG
$_57 (4).JPG
$_57 (5).JPG
$_57 (6).JPG
$_57 (7).JPG
$_57 (8).JPG
$_57 (9).JPG
$_57.JPG

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Nice, assuming it had those plates when you bought it?

The tow hook covers fall off from a slight breeze, once I got one for mine it is now held in with about 5 cable ties.

Haha, I love the 'Red Rocket' shifter :p

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Do they just have a tendency to fall off?... it was it a bit untidy and not smooth, so will try and get one ASAP.
There's your answer. Bumper's gotten too friendly with the ground too often and sheared the heads off the trim clips ordinarily holding the tow hook cover in place.

G

Unregistered
I was looking at that car on carsales a few weeks ago around the time I brought my galant. Came from the central coast in nsw if I remember correctly.

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
I was looking at that car on carsales a few weeks ago around the time I brought my galant. Came from the central coast in nsw if I remember correctly.
Yeah that's the one. I live in Brisbane, so I took a day off work, flew down to Sydney at 6am, caught a train to Gosford, met up with the guy, bought the car and drove it back to Bris. Got home just before midnight :)

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
Nice, assuming it had those plates when you bought it?

The tow hook covers fall off from a slight breeze, once I got one for mine it is now held in with about 5 cable ties.

Haha, I love the 'Red Rocket' shifter :p
Yeah those plates are still on it, but I've got to ditch them when I re-register it in QLD. I'm not sure if they're personalised plates (unfamiliar with the vanity plate system in NSW), but if they're not it's a massive fluke that they're VR04!

If anyone in NSW wants to buy these plates let me know as they're not a lot of use to me once I put QLD plates on it. Open to cheap PPQ plate combination ideas as well :)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Assuming it has an NSW roadworthy, do you need to get a qld one yourself.

Awesome to hear it made the drive back to qld, good trial for it, I bought mine from Ipswich so I had to take it straight to happy laps at QR instead :D

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
Yeah has NSW roadworthy, but they don't mean sh!t in Qld so I have to get it redone.

Yeah was thrilled that it didn't leave me stranded in Kempsey or something like that haha. Was a very good bonding experience with the car, that's for sure.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Welcome! Looks like a decent buy.

No code for 'yumcha' and 'grape soda' and 'chicken feet'...no secret mountain runs, we're just a hungry mob :LOL:

I'm in Stafford (one of the few northsider OZVR4 folks) so I'll probably see you around eventually if not at the meet.

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
Sounds good all the same.

Northside represent! I'll be sure to give you a toot if I see you out and about.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Welcome to OzVR4! Looks like your car has the facelift grey centre console. Those things are very rare. What brand of wheels are those?

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
What's the standard centre console? I've seen mostly those tacky faux wood ones, or the carbon fibre-look ones. Was going to do red accents on the parts of my interior I can pull off, but if you can make a case for keeping it grey I'm all ears. No idea about the wheels, don't think they're anything special.

Top Bottom