Reliable, easy to maintain, 12.5 sec daily. What are my options!?!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I would agree that Supras around my parts seem to be owned by dero's and/or mid-life crisis sufferers. Having said that they fit the bill pretty damn well.
The main reason I got a Legnum instead of a Supra (other than their obvious supreme coolness) was the functionality, which you will lose with a Supra. One of my friends drives one of the older Supras and there is practically no back seat unless you're a midget. And the boot space isn't great either. I guess what I'm saying is if you like the four door goodness and the boot space with the Legnum then I'd steer clear of a Supra.

Also regarding the XR6-T I will never EVER understand the 4-speed auto box being so popular...? I don't know much about them but almost every single one I've seen has been the 4-speed auto. Weird.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
V35? You mean the skyline?

I like the sound of this c35 laurel! When are they gonna be eligible for import? Whats the drive train like? I know the engines are sweet. How much will they be??

I like subtle also, thats why I'd choose a chaser over a supra tbh... a lot more room in the back, not so well known AND essentially bullet proof mechanicals. It seems the manual late model ones sell for a lot more than the autos though, like this one

XR6 turbos weak point is the autos as far as I know... My friends typhoon had his transmission checked again and again... that was the getrag 6 speed which was weird.

Murcielargo? Well yeah, I don't think the sale of the leggie will cover it though... Don't like the soarer styling much...

Thanks for all the great input guys, this forum is awesome. We can openly talk about other cars and not have everyone say, "Ohh they're crap, get a real mans car!!"

Keep all your ideas coming.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Thanks Scottie :D

I love Cima's.... They just want a little too much cash for them at the moment

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
y33 only! anything else is butt

i think the y33 cima = c35 laurel, cept one is VQ30DE powered while the other is RB25DET powered

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
I like the sound of this c35 laurel! When are they gonna be eligible for import? Whats the drive train like? I know the engines are sweet. How much will they be??

They should be eligible relatively soon. They are actually the sedan variant of the Nissan Stagea (thats right the stagea is based on the Laurel and not the Skyline). So yeah, strong engine, strong box etc.

In saying that why not a Nissan Stagea Autech 260RS? That is probably going to be my next ride. Wagon coolness with an RB26DETT and R33 GT-R drivetrain. Easy to mod so the power will soon far overshadow the heavy weight and slow stock performance.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Great post! You think there is much of a difference between the supras and the chasers though? Handling wise? Similar weight I'd imagine. Why the supra over the chaser in your opinion?

From what you've said, you want to go fast, you want to do it cheap, and you want it to be reliable.

The best way to achieve those aims is to not be a pioneer. Follow the well trodden path so you're not the first adopter and taking the hit on costs.

As you've found out, our VR-4s are not the the most common or well trodden path and getting aftermarket parts and extra performance usually comes at a premium.

Getting a VR-4 (or any other niche car) down the quarter in the 12's is not likely to be cheap nor very reliable. Getting a TT Supra to do the same is easy as pie. Why? Because so many other have already managed to do it and getting there is just a matter of ticking a few boxes from a myriad of bolt on suppliers.

There's no doubt in my mind that we could get a Chaser into the 12's and it would probably be reasonably reliable. However, would it be reliable as the numerous numbers of Supras that have gotten into the 12's, 11's and even 10's and are used as daily drivers? Less likely. The 3 litre Supra engine will be less stressed at big power levels than the 2.5 Chaser motor. For every 12 second Chaser we can find, I'm sure we can find five 12 second Supras!

Without driving the 2 back to back, I can't comment accurately on comparative handling characteristics. My gut feeling though, tells me that a purpose built 2 door sports car is going to handle better than a 4 door luxury express.

I'm assuming that cost is also an issue for you. I'm guessing that manual Chasers are harder and more expensive to find than manual Supras. For example, you've posted a link to a $25k manual Chaser. A quick search shoes several manual TT Supras starting at only $15k:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8547024&__sid=124D7F9C8A53&__Qpb=true&Cr=5&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294962861%204294962110%201622%20393%20413&PriceFrom=393&PriceTo=413&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=103&silo=1011

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8049547&__Qpb=true&Cr=12&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=30&__N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294962861%204294962110%201622%20393%20413&silo=1011&PriceTo=413&seot=1&PriceFrom=393&__Nne=15&trecs=103&__sid=124D7F9C8A53

Straight away, you have about $10k in your pocket for mods and that will easily get your Supra into the 12's. Now your $25k Chaser is not going to be a 12 second car out of the box and you'll need to throw some more money on it to get it there.

Bottom line is to simply copy those who have already achieved your stated aims of reliablility, speed, low cost etc. With enough money, we could even get a Hyundai Excel to do warp 9 but we'd need a second mortgage on the house!

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Well said Bruce, right on the money with that one.

Do you definitely want manual Madhav? An Auto Supra is not only cheaper then the manual variant but with a 3,000 rpm stall is perfectly suited to Drag conditions.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Contact Dimi, who has gone from a Legnum to a Chaser to see his opinion of comparisons..

I agree with Bruce. Supra over a Chaser. Your options list & parts availability would tower over a similar list for a Chaser.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Thanks again for the input Bruce. I agree with the pioneer thing, believe me when I say I know.

In regards to the supras, spot on, the yanks have gone ballistic with them so there is an abundance of upgrade paths ranging from 250kw all the way to some absolutely ridiculous, and no doubt un-drivable numbers. Bolt on upgrades are everywhere.

Now from the research I did on the chasers, there are not as many upgrade options here in oz, (plenty in japan though as drifter LOVE them), but they definitely still exist! You can send your stock single to be bored out and a ball bearing GT30R garrett ball bearing core fitted in, bringing the power up to an 250-280kw atw with almost no loss in spool, AND nothing needs to be changed from the stock setup except oil and water lines. Cost is $2500 from more respectable places like ATC in adelaide or GCG turbos.... Can also buy a garrett GT30R straight out for $1500, just need a custom dump pipe and manifold adaptor plates.

Chasers do sell for around $17k in manual with around 60-70km on the clock, or that one I posted off chefs website... knock $5k off that for autos.

Onto handling... well I can't say, supposedly the drifter chuck decent suspension and they do well... but yeah something to think about.

The 3.0L engine is a good point though, actually forgot about this... Not interested in an auto at all though.

Good information so far....

I would have thought a low km manual supra would be difficult to find for less than $25k, but yeah, looks like there are a few around...

EDIT: This one looks the business. Seems hard to find decent ones with less than 75,000 km on the clock for less than $20k.

EDIT NO. 2: It seems that you can get turbo kits to bolt directly onto the N/A versions for around $5k which bring the power up to 300kw atw

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Wow, that silver one is great value!

Don't bother with an N/A IMO. Too much money involved when you can buy them turbo straight up.

As for that Chasers are you looking at a JZX90 or JZX100? The 90's are much cheaper, some people don't like the look, some do, I personally like it. If you were really crazy you could chuck a 2J bottom end into a Chaser (or a whole 2JZ-GTE) and have a 1.5JZ-GTE. Would go like the clappers. The good thing about the Toyota family is that the engines are bulletproof, much stronger then our 6A13's and the Nissan RB range.

Either way, mods are a plenty and making the power you are chasing will be easy. You will run 12.5's very easily.

BTW Autoworx in Wangara have a 6spd silver Supra for $21,990 ATM ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
The 3.0L engine is a good point though, actually forgot about this

The good thing with the Supra is that even if you replace the twin turbos with a single turbo conversion, the car can still be very driveable as a daily by virtue of the bigger 3 litre engine. Same can't be said for smaller engines with big turbos that chase the big kw numbers.

I would have thought a low km manual supra would be difficult to find for less than $25k, but yeah, looks like there are a few around...

Here's a 1997 TT with only 50k on the clock for under $20k:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&YearFromShort=1638&__Qpb=true&Cr=13&R=6000291&MileageTo=752&keywords=&__N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294962861%204294962110%20752%201638%20393&silo=1011&__No=60&seot=1&PriceFrom=393&__Nne=15&trecs=140&__sid=124D7F9C8A53

The alternative is to spend around $25k to buy a proven 11 second Supra. Something like this:

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59121

Or a 400rwkw monster like this:

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59602

I agree with Lachlan in that you're better off getting a TT than to buy an NA and do the conversion. There's the matter of upgrading the brakes and a host of other mechanical components to cope with the added power output. There's not much point and you're better off in terms of both cost and time using a TT as your starting canvas.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I think you guys may have convinced me....

There doesn't appear to be any in WA atm worthwhile looking at though....

I don't like white, don't like auto trans (the carsales one you posted above bruce is white and auto!!) The one that Lachlan listed has too high km listed for my liking (I want reliability!!!.... something with 70k or less km on the clock.)

Anyone in Adelaide want to check out the silver one for me??? Suburb is EDINBURGH.

Main concern is that the km are genuine!! Other than that I would be sold... oh and I would like to only pay $20k for it.

I sent the guy an email, see if he responds.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Ok so here's the deal! He will take $20k which includes delivery to Perth! This is a very good deal considering the milage.

Can someone please please please have a look at it for me!!!!

1 Blaby Rd, Morphett Vale South Australia 5162 Tomorrow at 4pm. Or Thurs, Fri avo.

I'll post this thread in the SA section also.

let me know via pm or 0406690912

P.s. If the suburb is a long way away, I will pay you $70 to fill your tank for the effort.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I can get the silver one from adelaide with half the milage on it and free delivery for $20k.

I want reliable!!!!

Just need someone from adelaide to save the day!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I want reliable!!!!

88,000kms is not reliable?
I'd take a Toyota with 300,000kms over a Mitsubishi with 88,000kms by comparison, & I say that with selling my Legnum with 235,000kms!

If you are looking for reliable, I'd be looking for a rock-stock unmodified Supra.
Less chance of it being raped.

Top Bottom