Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Front Pipes. Also known as down pipes or sometimes incorrectly referred to as dump pipes.

Larger diameter front pipes have many benefits. As you can see in the below diagram the front pipes are only a small portion of the overall exhaust system. Let's not forget that the rest of the exhaust is important too but I'll just be focusing on the front pipes here.
A more free flowing set of front pipes can be likened to uncorking your turbo's. Here are just a few benefits in doing so.

Benefits:
- Larger diameter and less turbulent exhaust path means higher flow
- Higher flow and reduced back pressure allows for:
- Improved response
- Allows more advanced timing with tuning
- Easier on the turbo's to provide the same output level or more
- More prominent spool sound - cool!

exhaust_full.jpg

After market front pipes are typically 60mm (2.36") OD and 57mm (2.25") ID from the downpipe. The exit pipe is typically 76mm (3") OD 70mm (2.75") ID. The factory outlet from the turbo dumps is measured at around 57mm (2.25"). Here is a list of common off the shelf front pipes for EC5W/EC5A Legnum and Galant:

Meek front pipes
Pro: - Cheap at $400 AUD
- The design looks acceptable with a collector used at the merge of front and rear down pipes.
- Located in NSW

Con: - No info known, please post in this thread if you have any feedback on these front pipes.
Meek_Legnum_Front_Pipe.JPG

RPW front pipes www.rpw.com.au
Pro: - Improvement over stock pipes
- Good flow
- 2 flex joins
- Cheap at only $360 AUD
- Located in Perth

Con: - 301 grade stainless steel is not high quality, salted roads have been found to cause damage to these
- RPW pipes sit lower than factory pipes. They are more prone to scrape, especially in lowered cars
- Low quality flex join - some people have scraped and broken the flex relatively easily
RPW_Front_Pipe.jpg

Pro Shop Iida front pipes http://www.ps-iida.co.jp/galant/galant.html
Pro: - Probably the highest quality ready-made front pipes available for VR-4's
- Good diameter and merge - efficient design.

Con: - Expensive at $750 AUD + delivery from RHDJapan http://www.rhdjapan.com/pro-shop-iida-stainless-front-pipe-ec5w-ec5a-25120
PS_Iida1.jpg
PS_Iida.jpg

YR-Advance front pipes
Pro: - Improvement over factory
- Sits nice and high, good for lowered cars and able to fit on cussco front braces
- Lighter than factory front pipes

Con: - rear down pipe merge does not promote smooth flow. It is almost at a right angle.
- The diameter does not appear to increase at the merge, rather after the merge. This is not an efficient design.
- Very expensive at $850 AUD + delivery from RHDJapan http://www.rhdjapan.com/yr-advance-front-pipe-mitsubishi-ec5a-ec5w-64701
YR-Advance-file_11_12.jpg
YR-Advance-file_12_5.jpg

Some people on OZVR4 have individual or handmade designs:
Tim's front pipes

Tim1.jpg
Tim2.jpg

Paul's front pipes

Paul1.jpg
Paul2.jpg

Modifcations
Some people have modified their RPW font pipes to sit higher to prevent scraping on the ground over speed humps and drive ways. Some people have used heatwrapping on their front pipes. This is not necessarily a good idea as it weakens the stainless steel. The benefit though, is that by trapping heat the flow is maintained. Here is a picture of a heatwrapped front pipe.

heatwrapped.jpg

Disclaimer: I have used other people's pictures. Please PM me if you want me to take them down.

Meek_Legnum_Front_Pipe.JPG
RPW_Front_Pipe.jpg
PS_Iida.jpg
YR-Advance-file_11_12.jpg
YR-Advance-file_12_5.jpg
PS_Iida1.jpg
Tim1.jpg
Tim2.jpg
Paul1.jpg
Paul2.jpg
heatwrapped.jpg
exhaust_full.jpg

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I have always thought that dumps are from the turbo to the above front pipes...

So:
Turbo -> dumps (very short generally) -> front pipes (y piece with a flex joint) -> cat -> rear pipes (with a resonator or 2) -> rear muffler.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I have always thought that dumps are from the turbo to the above front pipes...

So:
Turbo -> dumps (very short generally) -> front pipes (y piece with a flex joint) -> cat -> rear pipes (with a resonator or 2) -> rear muffler.

Exactly right, my title was just to cater for people who like to call things different names :)
edit: e.g. when searching
edit2: For clarity I've added an extra diagram for readers.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Great thread. Could people also post if they had trouble fitting a sway bar / front brace with a particular type of front pipe (not sure if this is even a problem)? Info won't really help me since mine are custom but could help others.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
Can i ask another request? With people who have custom made front pipes can they list where they got it done and how much it cost, and what they think of the quality and performance of the pipes. Thankyou.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Had my custom turbo back exhaust made up from Castle Hill Exhausts in Sydney..they did a good job and tucked it up nicely..I had a cusco 2-point brace fitted and it cleared it easily..

It was mild steel and cost $1400 all up...Had a nice note to it as well! I initially had a 4" Xforce muffler that was insanely loud and then replaced it with the Varex one (can control the noise)..it also was someone a little more quiet than the previous one when the butterfly valve was fully opened..

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about those Meek front pipes too...

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Cusco arm bar version 2 rubbed on my pro shop iida pipes so had to swap it out for the version 1 brace. :-(

Contemplating having my pipes heat wrapped as they have a few scars by now in any case.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Dice, just to give you a feedback, your first image, that shows what part is on that exhaust system..

where you pointed dumps, that's actually the exhaust manifolds..

dump pipe is between your turbo and front pipe..

G

Unregistered
I'm looking at getting an exhaust and may go the Meek Pipes, If I do I will do a review for you all.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
I'm looking at getting an exhaust and may go the Meek Pipes, If I do I will do a review for you all.

Just thought I let you know, Windsor exhaust quoted me $480 supply and fitted. Might be cheaper for part+postage compare to Meek. IF you want i can have a chat will Russell and ask him how much just for parts.

G

Unregistered
That would be great mate cheers for that, I will ask a few places up here about customs too.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Since you're in QLD I'd look at getting the ones Paul got which were around $700 they look great.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Its only 11 hours:lol: Hay mitch let me know how you go with that , I had a 3 inch cat back quoted, 4 bends, high flow cat ,1 resinator, $1100 and my exhast is half as long as the leggys, I was going to try high flow in the ville next.
Dice, he's up north qld..

G

Unregistered
There is a place called Adros or something that's supposed to be good.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
11 hours at average speed of 135km/hr from Ingham to Extreme Custom Engineering in Acacia Ridge.

Yeah, their pipes look like they'd be worth it :D

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
Meeting Russell tomorrow. His man had a looked at some pics i print out and say they can duplicate Pro shop Iida's design. Will update. Maybe EOI GB

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
:lol::lol::lol::lol:yep not happening
11 hours at average speed of 135km/hr from Ingham to Extreme Custom Engineering in Acacia Ridge.

Yeah, their pipes look like they'd be worth it :D

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
Meeting Russell tomorrow. His man had a looked at some pics i print out and say they can duplicate Pro shop Iida's design. Will update. Maybe EOI GB

I'd be interested pending price.

Top Bottom