The Intercooler Thread

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I ordered one of these from just jap. 600x300x76 X3" Inlet/Outlet

I spoke to someone who had purchased one that is being used on a bmw running about 10psi boost, he said it was good value for money and has had no issues so i picked this one up.

I should have it in the next week or so at most, Ill post some pics of actual item.

Attachments

• coolingpro.jpg
    coolingpro.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 482

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
man ,got my cooler today.. but it was damaged in transit...something poked through the box and bent a bunch of fins.... so gotta get a replacement now... not happy at all!

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
ah, bugger. They are quite fragile, I was suprised that mine was in good condition when it turned up as we have some cowboy couriers around my area :p

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
yeah its a bit annoying... but cant do much.. they have offerred to replace, but its not too bad and i fixed it up so at least it will flow so i might just hit em up for a few silicon joins instead:) as its just going to get stones and crap hit it neway... see what happens...

G

Unregistered
here is my big intercooler:

it's pretty much looks like this outside the bumper:
attachment.php

A friend of mine did a test on it. He's a student and also teaching assistant in one of the university here majoring in industrial engineering. So this is how did the cooling test, he flew a hot air through this huge intercooler on a various speed. The results is quite disapointing. Because the cooling process is not optimal. The hot air is not reaching the top side of the intecooler. So basically the smaller size would do the same cooling process that the big intercooler that I have.

He said that if you want to pick a big intercoller make sure the inlet and outlet is 45 degree shape so the air can go up a reach the top side of the intercooler or it's located in the middle of the cooler.

This the picture of the 45 degree angle of inlet and outlet:
http://www.fensport.co.uk/galleryfiles/runxfront.jpg

Otomoto has it the middle of intercooler:
http://www.otomoto.com.au/kkr/buttons/KKR_P2.gif

G

Unregistered
that intercooler of yours brent, we have the same one on kylies stag, running ~14psi not a problem :)

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Mitchy thats good to know,

i looked closely at the cooler as well seemed that no all fins met up with the end tanks and there were some big gaps? upto about a 1cm... does kylies have the same sort of thing?

cheers,
brent

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Hoffman, is that the standard V6 non-turbo front bumper with a big intercooler behind it?

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Also Hoffman, what size is you intercooler ?

G

Unregistered
mitchy: there shouldn't be a problem running a big intercooler, but it's just kind of useless when a little one should provide the same results.

bradc: yes ur right. My car is ea5a with 6a13 V6 SOHC engine. I did the 6a13tt engine swap last year.

hawks: my intercooler is pretty big. well, I don't know the exact size. In order to install it, I have to removed the front bar thingy to get a free space, I don't want to cut the bar cause even u cut it, it's useless. So why bother cutting it. Then i have to make a hole to accomodate the inlet and outlet piping and also to be able to fit the front back to the bracket. U can see that in the picture.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
If all goes well, I should have my reducers and clamps this week and the cooler in before thursday!!

for those who have cut the impact bar, did it need much reinforcement? or can you get away with out it?

cheers,
brent

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
None of us with an uprated intercooler have had first hand experience finding that one out....We've all had a bit of it chopped away, and thats it.

Top Bottom