Torque converter stall speeds

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
Hey all, does anyone know what the factory stall speed is for our torque converters. I've had a bit of a look around the forum and haven't found a lot. I saw on another post somewhere that someone suggested 2800 rpm. Is that correct?
It seems a bit high for a factory converter. My old Calais had a 2500 hi stall hence my confusion about these ones.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
When its all the way on boost mine use to flash to 3000 before the brakes cant hold it anymore.
I always thought it was pretty loose for a stock converter aswell.

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
So I found in a manual on the forum somewhere that says the stall speed ranges from 2100rpm to 2600 rpm and Mike at MV Automatics also told me about 90% of VR4's that come in are around 2200rpm. The reason I was asking was because I believe the trans shop doing my box has lost my converter. I don't want to get my box back in the car to find stuff is still wrong. Would anyone know the specific codes that are marked on the converter by any chance? Mitzfix have told me it should be 6A. Any ideas anyone? This is becoming a nightmare

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
I seem to remember mine stalls up to about 2700-2800 stationery on the brakes. Just on the edge of boost. When rolling and you stall it up (by holding the speed constant on the brakes) it is like all cars, a little bit higher. When I first got the VR4 was suprised just how high it was for a factory converter. Imo ~2200rpm rpm is not factory VR4.
They also have the lock-up clutch which you can feel best when in 4th at 55-60kph.
I'll check my stall speed tomorrow.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Are you sure they have a lock up clutch? I've seen a few converters and it doesnt look like they do...

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
I've never seen one of the convertors, but mine definitely locks up and becomes direct drive at about 56-57kph when held in 4th (the exact spot where it normally changes into 5th) and the same at about 66-67kph in 5th.
The transmission must be well and truly warm for it to actuate.
When not warm yet, mine won't change into 5th for about the first minute, and won't lock up the convertor till about 5-10 minutes of driving. When locked-up, any slight increase in throttle won't flare revs, just increases speed. Increase throttle more and the convertor opens and the revs flare up.
VL Commies had a lock up convertor back in the mid 80's so surely our cars do?

Tried for stall speed today, got to about 2800rpm, boost came on and the transmission went bang (wasn't very warm), so I don't think I'll try that again! Still drives ok now. :whistle:
Must be making much more torque these days than the last time I did it.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
This is my torque converter, I was under the impression that a lock up clutch would be some kind of extra plate system on the back?
But this appears to be one solid sealed unit.

I should have asked the shop that refurbed mine if there was a clutch hidden somewhere in there.
FB_IMG_1532033194782.jpg

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
Thanks for the replies guys. Not that fussed about lock up up top if they have it. I just want to be sure I don't get given some crappy 1600-1800 rpm converter out of something else. They showed me a converter when I was there the other day, marked 6A. Told them I didn't think it was mine. It was plain and unpainted where I'm pretty sure mine was blue. The only thing I didn't take photos of when I pulled the box out

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
This is my torque converter, I was under the impression that a lock up clutch would be some kind of extra plate system on the back?
But this appears to be one solid sealed unit.

I should have asked the shop that refurbed mine if there was a clutch hidden somewhere in there.

Clutch assembly is inside the converter:
images (2).jpeg

Thanks for the replies guys. Not that fussed about lock up up top if they have it. I just want to be sure I don't get given some crappy 1600-1800 rpm converter out of something else. They showed me a converter when I was there the other day, marked 6A. Told them I didn't think it was mine. It was plain and unpainted where I'm pretty sure mine was blue. The only thing I didn't take photos of when I pulled the box out

I would think you will be able to feel it immediately. It will change the whole characteristic of the car.
I had a modified Gemini converter made for my LC Torana (running a 202). New stall speed of 3300rpm (old was 2200rpm) and it completely changed the way the car transmitted power and the way it drove.
It was wild afterwards, huge launch, burnouts on cue, by far the best mod I ever did for the car. Still makes me smile.

Top Bottom