1998 Galant VR4

G

Unregistered
Thought i'd start this thread as it may be of intrest to some of you. I purchased a 1998 Galant VR4 from a repo auction for $2200. It has an issue with tiptronic transmission, no foward gears, reverse works fine. When its in drive it is the same as being in neutral. It has an hks airfilter which i am going to replace with the factory one as its running terribly rich. It came with a turbo timer and two kenwood car diversity antennas on the rear windscreen which i think i will remove. It also has a freeway headdeck. I want to put it all back to factory, looks like there was a cd stacker under front seat at some stage. I have already replaced RH taillight. Got both left and right for $70 so now i have LH tailLight for sale. It is my goal to get this car going again for well under the price of one for sale. I have the cigarette lighter on its way plus VR4 badge for the front, as this one has been debaged, im not going to put badge on the back tho, i think it looks better without. I can get all the parts for a manual conversion for $2500 havn't asked around for any others prices though. I will keep you guys updated with how it goes and all the things i do to the car. It has 10700kms on the clock so will be replacing the timing belt too. Any and all info and suggestions from you guys will be appreciated. Also if i can find rear door handles in red i will be putting them into the front as someone has tried to break in through the lock. Any ideas for other things to do to the car appreciated

Attachments

• VR4 Front.jpg
    VR4 Front.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 43
  • VR4 Rear.jpg
    VR4 Rear.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 39

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Good luck with the project, Matt.

I thought you where gonna be in for some trouble with this VR-4, then I saw that you are in NZ and not AUS, so you should have plenty of parts avaliable to get it up to spec.

The paint looks pretty faded (in the pics atleast) Do you have a respray on your list ?

G

Unregistered
It just needs a cut and polish, i have done it to the LH guard and it has come up very well. You can sort of tell from the pic of front of car. This will be the last thing i do though as getting the car going foward is my main priority. Have found an auto box for $700 so thats looking like the go at the moment.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
All Red VR-4's fade terribly! Constant polishing will get them looking good though.

I've seen that the correct gearboxes come up on trademe fairly regularly, might be worth keeping an eye out on there.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Ace! Our first project thread! Good luck with the work Mat, have you decided that an Auto is the way to go and not a manual conversion?
Any chance you can use a higher res camera so we can see what it really looks like? That way we might be able to give some more suggestions on what to do.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Nice score on this one! It'd be good to see this car ressurected back to its former glory. Good luck with it :D

G

Unregistered
cut and polishing a faded red car will never last...its only going to get worse sorry!

Top Bottom