5" Catalytic Converter

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Hey guys, Just want to know if anyone has fitted a 5" cat to their exhaust system? Or does anyone know if a 5" cat will fit nice and snug under our cars?

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
Pretty sure mine is a 5" cat. here's a pic
ma2y5y5u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
is your car lowered? I scarped it once after changing to the Ralliart suspension. Went back and got them to tuck it in more. So maybe ask them to tuck it in as much as possible. but was also told by the exhaust fitter being to near to the chassis will increase the cabin temeprature.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Alvin, did you get this catalytic converter from Windsor Exhaust? What brand is it?

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Alvin, did you get this catalytic converter from Windsor Exhaust? What brand is it?

Not sure what brand, maybe ring Russell from Windsor Exhaust and ask him? sorry Jet

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Most cats will have the same surface area of the core. It's only the inlet and outlet that change. I have had 2" to 4" inlet outlets all beside each other and the core is the same.

Can't beat magna flow cats, I have an oval 3" 200pi cell metalcat but there are many manufacturers. All use a stainless body.

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
So glad we don't have to have cats, mines still connected but theres nothing inside it heh

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
So glad we don't have to have cats, mines still connected but theres nothing inside it heh

We need a dislike button. Or jealous button.

Huge fines here in aus.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Also a hollowed factory cat won't be as good as a well sized high flow i.e. 3" or more anyway.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Most cats will have the same surface area of the core. It's only the inlet and outlet that change. I have had 2" to 4" inlet outlets all beside each other and the core is the same.

Can't beat magna flow cats, I have an oval 3" 200pi cell metalcat but there are many manufacturers. All use a stainless body.
The cat im getting has 100cpsi thats why it has a 5" housing with 3" ends. I dont really care what size the cat is the import part is what cpsi it is how much air it flows.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
There was a thread a while back discussing which cat converters were best, but there was no real consensus. What makes the Magnaflow ones better? I'd be going for a 100-cell one when I get the chance.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Magnaflow has made a name for themselves, the best cats to get are the ones that OBD and euro emissions compliant.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
The cat im getting has 100cpsi thats why it has a 5" housing with 3" ends. I dont really care what size the cat is the import part is what cpsi it is how much air it flows.

thats the exact specs as mine. :)

Deja Vu

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Levi
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Type S
Black '95 FTO GPX (Stolen)
Silver '95 FTO GPX (Sold)
'98 Subaru B4 RSK (Lemon, returned to dealer)
'04 Suzuki Swift

Hey, could you elaborate on that a bit? I was thinking about gutting my cat but not sure if it would pass a WOF. Or whether it would be incredibly loud and drony. I have a 3" Fujitsubo catback exhaust if that helps. :)

Top Bottom