VIC A Rebuilt Legnum

Alex96L

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alex
Drive
2001 Mitsubishi Legnum, 2007 Mitsubishi 380
Hey guys. I made an account here a while ago when I contemplated buying a Legnum at the time. I sort of lost interest but by random chance I came across this one on Facebook marketplace and had to at least check it out. Needless to say I went with the purchase.

Specs:
2001 model. Imported in 2014.
Manual
Recaro seats

c77c2eb6125f395803e28bde0f26f72e.png

60fc2b624a29aa4ab1a28f4f0c440a88.png

What's great about this Legnum is that the previous owner had the engine and turbos rebuilt at a cost of around $23k late last year, including a new timing belt, water pump, radiator and a HD clutch. The paper work is four pages long! Once the engine was run in, it was tuned and is running 195kw at the wheels, with 550cc injectors and 14 psi. So coming from owning slow NA cars, this is a whole different beast to get used to!

Otherwise the only mod that's been done is a 3 inch catback, nice and noisy but not too droney.

DIY work will be limited due to constant back and wrist problems. I just used a restoration kit on the headlights since they were a bit oxidized. Really I just intend on keeping it clean, servicing it on time and driving it on weekends. Unfortunately living in Melbourne, I mean, Covidbourne has been hell as of late. I've only been able to drive the car 10-20 minutes once a week to pick up a click and collect just to have any excuse to drive it. Hopefully soon I'll be able to take it out for proper drives, even if that means moving out lol.

In terms of issues, really there isn't any that are of great concern. The car runs well and drives beautifully. The tacho sometimes bounces around or stops working completely, but this only happens once in a blue moon so I'm not too bothered by it.

A lot of the suspension components are original so the ride is rather soft. Rear struts are leaking and some of the bushes are pretty worn. I plan to get that all fixed later down the line. And yes the LCA's were replaced a few years ago. There's no signs of them going bad from what I've checked. Also there's sometimes a clunk from around the rear diff when I rev match/heal and toe. I'm hoping that's worn bushes?

Due to the tune and larger injectors, the car is running very rich and does blow quite a bit of black smoke and soot under decent load, and the condition of the oil tells me it's very diluted in fuel even though the oil was changed less than 500km ago. Penrite 5w-50 is what the previous owner has been using btw. Is this going to cause premature wear on the engine even with regular oil changes? Would it be worth getting it resolved even if it meant loosing a bit of power? I don't have any intention of thrashing this thing. Every so often I put my foot down but otherwise I have a lot of mechanical sympathy for this thing and want it to last, knowing its reputation.

Been browsing this place a lot lately to learn what I can about owning this car, and look forward to contributing where I can. It might be quiet here but it's still a very useful knowledge base. It's nice meeting you all!

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Looks the goods but mate if it does not already have an alarm, immobiliser etc do not street park it. These cars get stolen constantly in VIC and will be stolen from your driveway.

Alex96L

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alex
Drive
Looks the goods but mate if it does not already have an alarm, immobiliser etc do not street park it. These cars get stolen constantly in VIC and will be stolen from your driveway.
Already have that covered don't worry, plus it's fully insured

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Already have that covered don't worry, plus it's fully insured

Good, seen too many go and all it takes is a little effort to stop thieves as these cars are just joyrides, not like a skyline that gets towed and stripped nowadays.

Will have to try organize something once VIC finally opens up, plenty of VR4s around!

Very lucky with the super seats!

Alex96L

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alex
Drive
Good, seen too many go and all it takes is a little effort to stop thieves as these cars are just joyrides, not like a skyline that gets towed and stripped nowadays.

Will have to try organize something once VIC finally opens up, plenty of VR4s around!

Very lucky with the super seats!
Thanks! They're very comfortable ;)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum Alex. You may have discovered much of this already but here's a template anyway:

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 17.3a

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Oils and Fluids
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info
- Posting photos, especially in the Classifieds

Posting new threads is restricted by default, for full access become a Premium Member:
- Upgrade to Premium Membership benefits

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I'd look at getting a spare ignition failure sensor module. That's the small black rectangular thing on the front cam cover left of the oil cap. An indication its on the way out is the rpm jumping and not working. Sounds like yours. It is a drama as if it fails the car will stop and not start. Bit of a bummer. You can hard wire it if you get stuck but get one just in case and change it. (y)

Big coin spent on the engine. You said the turbo's were rebuilt, does it show who did them? Were they high flowed, from the power and boost level, it sounds like a stock rebuild. Were the internals replaced with forged or was its a stock rebuild?

The 5-50 oil is fine. Anything around 10-40 will be fine.
yes black smoke on acceleration does sound rich, who tuned it?

Alex96L

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alex
Drive
Welcome to the forum Alex. You may have discovered much of this already but here's a template anyway:

Thank you mookers! It's a pleasure to be here :)

I'd look at getting a spare ignition failure sensor module.

That's good to know. Thank you.

You said the turbo's were rebuilt, does it show who did them? Were they high flowed, from the power and boost level, it sounds like a stock rebuild. Were the internals replaced with forged or was its a stock rebuild?

The 5-50 oil is fine. Anything around 10-40 will be fine.
yes black smoke on acceleration does sound rich, who tuned it?

Revzone in Melbourne did the rebuild and the tuning. And yes it was a stock rebuild, at least on the turbo side. For the engine, the rebuild receipt shows "custom made con rods" and "custom made pistons" so I'll have to clarify with them if they're forged or not.

Top Bottom