Actionman aka Brendon // Brisbane - QLD

G

Unregistered
Hi all,

Not a good way to start, I know, but I have been - and still am - a long term Holden fan. But, I recently saw a Legnum at a local dealer and decided on the spot that I need one! Hence my allegiance has been altered somewhat...

Basically, the appeal of a twin turbo, AWD wagon is simply too good to pass up. Plus, the wagon bit is very appealing to the missus and baby.

I've joined up to trawl the threads and learn as much about the Legnums that I can before I jump in and grab one. I'm not content to leave the majority of work up to a workshop and enjoy doing it myself and learning in the process. I am a Panel Beater by trade, but haven't worked in the industry for quite a few years, preferring to teach Manual Arts at high school instead - the money is heaps better!

I live literally minutes away from a bevy of dealers and importers on the northern side of Brisbane and wanted some opinions on them. Carmen Imports come across as being professional and competitive. Does anyone have experiences with these guys or any others in the area?

Look forward to picking through the website and hearing your views.

Actionman

G

Unregistered
Welcome Brendon, I think u'll find that many of us had that initial lust when we first saw them too. They really are as good to drive as they look, you'll truely be happy if u get ur hands on one.
Get down to a meet in ur area and check the other members cars and they'll tell u what to look out for.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Welcome Brendon, don't just limit yourself to what's at the dealers - if you want a particular spec, try a broker. I (and many others on here) imported through broker and saved 2-3 grand over yard prices. The only downside is the wait (which can be from 3-6 months from the time you buy it in Japan)

Also, if you want to test drive one (or several) without a salesman in your ear, come along to one of the QLD meets (check the East Coast section).

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
Cool another commo fan defecting. Yeah I was bitten by the galant bug but money doesn't fit at the moment so soon hopefully.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Welcome to the site Brendon :) I certainly can't fault your logic with the change of heart - VR4's beat just about everything hands down for performance, comfort, style and price!

I am a Panel Beater by trade, but haven't worked in the industry for quite a few years, preferring to teach Manual Arts at high school instead - the money is heaps better!
You should move to Perth man - panel beaters are making over a hundred grand a year atm - waiting lists are up to three months long and the prices are horrendous :banghead:

Anyway, as the guys said, don't limit yourself to dealerships (although they're certainly a fantastic way to get an intro taking test drives). Get in touch with Kristian (Iron Chef Imports) who can be found elsewhere on the site and see what he can suggest :)

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the info, guys. It gives me something to go on. I'm reluctant to buy a car without having seen it first, but if I can find a quality broker, then I wouldn't rule it out. I've had a quick look through Iron Chef's website, as suggested, and his prices appear pretty good. Certainly get alot more car for the money than an equivalent year Commonwhore wagon, and the Legnum's are bucketloads classier!

Trevor,
I have had the thought to move to Perth, especially when I finished my trade in '99, but one thing leads to another and before you know it life takes another totally different path. Pretty happy and content doing what I am at the moment - the work is good and the holidays give me time to spend with the family and tinkering on my car. But, never say never...

Brendon

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Welcome to the site Brendon :)

Yep, definitely scary to compare even the 1996 Legnums with what "the big four" at the time had. A TF Magna, a VT Commodore (or VS Seres II), EL/AU Falcons and a Camry.

Combined with the generally low kilometres these cars get, it's a bargain if you're willing to do the hard yards (or knows someone who can help) to keep it on the road.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Brendon... welcome and yah like what Lee said.. come along to one of the meets..

I can smell a meet coming on...

Top Bottom