Air freshener warning - don't do what Donny Dont Do does...

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Just a quick warning to be careful with in-car air fresheners on your vents. During the workshop day last week I had the console off and when I put it back together I stupidly put my airfreshner back on the vents updside down.

It has since leaked and the liquid inside has stripped away the lacquer on my nice carbon look aircon vent surround :(

IMG_7561.jpg

Damaged carbon dash makes the baby jesus cry...

Any suggestions on how I could repair it? The carbon 'stripes' are still there on the plastic it seems. The brownish lacquer on top has just been removed. Could I colour match it somehow with new lacquer??

cheers

Lee

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
try using a little bit of cut and pollish car pollish, start at a place behind it to make sure its not going to make it worse thou.

we did this with our delica external parker lights, they fade and get dull the cut and pollish makes them look allot better and nearly new by making them feel smooth and look brighter again.

we did the same thing on a motorbike front windsheild and it worked great as well made it clear again, try it see how it goes it should at least make it look better then it does now, may not quiet make it look like new but worth a try.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
try using a little bit of cut and pollish car pollish, start at a place behind it to make sure its not going to make it worse thou.

we did this with our delica external parker lights, they fade and get dull the cut and pollish makes them look allot better and nearly new by making them feel smooth and look brighter again.

we did the same thing on a motorbike front windsheild and it worked great as well made it clear again, try it see how it goes it should at least make it look better then it does now, may not quiet make it look like new but worth a try.

but wes, it has stripped the laceur, not faded it, it needs to be re-applied

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Argh, that's no good.
Personally, i'd just buy another one from Yahoo Auctions (through Jesse Streeter).
It doesn't really look like you can do much to repair it.

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
I'll have a carbon console for sale soon ;-)

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
That will teach you for having a girly smelly thing in your car......the only smell you need to worry about is petrol and oil!!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The knife safety book Flanders gave Bart when he was in the Junior Campers. ;)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
"Thank you Doctor"

"Don't thank me, thank the knife!"

D'oh it seems like everywhere people are enjoying knives.... :sad:

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Lee, I suggest you buff it out first using (fine) cut and polish.. then wash it out with soup.. dry it out.. then spray clear lacquer that has UV protection..

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
It looks like it has stripped the colour out of it. Not sure much is gonna work there.

G

Unregistered
You could always paint it with a nice wood grain effect :)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Lee, I suggest you buff it out first using (fine) cut and polish.. then wash it out with soup.. dry it out.. then spray clear lacquer that has UV protection..

do you recomend campbells or heinz? or home recipe?

:p

Top Bottom