Anyone here know php?

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Hi all,

Odd request on a car forum, but I am running out of ideas and hoping someone here can help.
I am setting up a private website for the storage of audio presentations and their associated power points. All presentations are saved as mp3s and the relevant details (presenter, comment, album etc) is stored in the metafile. The date and presenters name is in the file name itself.

My difficulty is that the site needs to have the ability for an admin to upload the .mp3 and .ppt files, and generic members tobe able to search for a particular presentation using any of the fields in the metafile, not just the file name, and download it. And this is way beyond my expertise.

The look and feel is ok, I have mates who are doing the HTML side of things, but none of us are good enough at coding to achieve the above functionality.
PHP was suggested by 2 of the guys involved in the project as apparently its easier to integrate with HTML etc

I am prepared to pay via money/booze if someone can do this for me! If you think you can I can get together a more detailed list or requirements. Also let me know what sort of cost you think you might charge as if it's too expensive we will have to try some thing else!

P.S. There is nothing illegal in this! There is no copyright material being stored/shared and it is a private site not open to the public.

Cheers
Pete

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Peter, I think we might be able to come to some form for arrangement :p

Sounds like you'll need a database backend like MySQL to save all the metadata. (easiest to use if you are using PHP)

PHP will write your HTML code dynamically, and give you ability to do some server side processing like store data, metadata, etc.

Happy to write something... I need some help again with my cruise control project :D

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
LOL sounds like you have a deal then :p

Want me to write up a more detailed spec or you think you have enough idea for now?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
More detailed spec... what kind of metadata you want to store, flow/process chart (ie, someone visits site, click browse, enter some mandatory fields for metadata, then upload?)

If you've got this online somewhere to show me what it looks like, that would be good. Ideally we'll need to grab the HTML docs you've created and add the PHP code into them. So get your webdesign looking somewhat how you want it, then we can add the PHP smarts into it, you can then later still edit the HTML/css to change the look without changing the PHP code.

You have choice if you want to write this in PHP or ASP.NET - depends on where you're hosting it. Most hosting sites are cheaper for PHP, and usually give you one MySQL DB, or is this running your own hardware?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Should add - if you are hosting this on your own hardware, and the host OS is windows, then you might as well use asp.net and MS Sql express. Will be eaiser to setup IIS (native support for asp). Getting php running on windows always takes a bit of fiddling.

If your box is a *nix box, the php mysql is best.

Top Bottom