Anyone here knows how to use a Milling Machine?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Planning on buying one real soon..

I know it's like a lathe but like a huge ass drill with floating base..

any tips on using one?!

planning on make the plates for the COP and possibly others.. me and my dad are gonna go half on this one..

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
willing to hav a go haha.

but the work piece is bolted to a floating base as you said and you have two spindles for x and y axis and the drill is like a drill press, ie it has up and down movements.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
in my head I believe I know how to work it.. but we all know that's not usually how it ends up... lol

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
Depends what you want to make?
Because theres 100's of different tools (cutters) for different jobs. Thats with out making your own cutters.

Make sure you get a good lubricating one. Stops marring the finish.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
@Derek, dunno I don't even know how to use it.. Got the concept but not the basics..

@Shane, how much will that cost?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I don't understand anything in this thread, but that video is SO cool

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
the milling machine that Im planning to buy has only 4 axis..

I think that one posted in that link has 5 or 6.. which quadruple's the price tag.. and I dont think CNC is included with it..

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
If you need any more than 4 axes your doing some really funky stuff. To be honest, you can get the majority of components made with 3 axes and possibly an indexing head to hold the work piece.
A motorised drive on the long axis of the bed will make your life a lot easier, gets you a better finish on long facing cuts too.
You getting a brand spanker or a quality second hand job? Also, does it come with a digital readout?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
If you need any more than 4 axes your doing some really funky stuff. To be honest, you can get the majority of components made with 3 axes and possibly an indexing head to hold the work piece.
A motorised drive on the long axis of the bed will make your life a lot easier, gets you a better finish on long facing cuts too.
You getting a brand spanker or a quality second hand job? Also, does it come with a digital readout?

ummm.. im not sure at this stage.. as we're still looking around...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
thread bump on this..

I didnt end up getting a CNC Milling Machine, but I am in the process of making something like this

will be controlled by arduino UNO with CNC shield..

hoping that i dont screw sh1t up.. also once I get this up and running, Ill be making proper plates for the projectors.. so they sit right in the middle and pushed back a bit for the high beams

Top Bottom