Are my turbo/s stuffed??

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, when fitting my FMIC today, I noticed the piping on the drivers side had oil/sludge inside it. Could this mean the end of one or both of my turbos??

Gary

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
If the turbos were stuffed, the oil would usually go out the exhaust... but thats just from past experience.

Maybe a turbo oil seal leak?

But what would I know.. im not mechanic!

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Me either thats why I am asking :)

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
Mine does that same! I puff a little white smoke every now and then as well, but got better when I fixed up all my boost leaks.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hopefully after fitting this I may have fixed any leaks I did have.

Gary

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I got a catch can and still get oil on the turbo side of the cooler?!?! And im pretty sure my rear turbo has a leaky seal, not 100% but almost

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
Air/oil seperator.. Had the same issue in my wrx.. This fixed it.. Wasn't sludgy like u describe it though

G

Unregistered
Any pics you can show us for comparison with the usual oily residue found in these systems?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There is normally oil residue in the system. There shouldn't be enough to have drips of oil coming out though.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
There is normally oil residue in the system. There shouldn't be enough to have drips of oil coming out though.

There isnt any drips, when you whipe the inside of the pipe there is a black sticky oil type residue. From the replies, doesnt seem I have to much to worry about at the moment, thanks everyone.

Gary

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Gary, that's ok.. mine does that too.. and not concerned..

if you are that concerned about it.. install a catch can, that way no oil will get sucked back in to your intake system..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If there is such a small amount of oil that it can't drip out then you have nothing to worry about.

G

Unregistered
instead of posting a new thread i thought i would ask here first.

Last couple days i have noticed drops of oil on my driveway which are coming from the BOV (which has also been spraying it all over my engine bay). Based on the number of drips id have to say this has only been happening for the past week or so. In that time Ive done nothing drastic to the car except a spirited mountain run.

Is it possible this is blow-by or am i up for a new set of turbos. Strange thing is there is no smoke coming from the exhaust- at all yet there is still enough oil circulating my intake that when i clean the hotside Y pipe (sits over the top of manifold cover), after a quick run it has heavy oil residue again.

Any tips would be great as i am unsure if this amount of blow-by is common for these engines.

G

Unregistered
justed pulled apart my pre-turbo intake pipes and found they were full of oil, must have been some SERIOUS blow-by. Time to get a catch can :( just hope the oil finds its way out of the system sooner rather than later. CBF taking my front bar off just to clean my intercooler...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
spirited mountain run can cause oil to get into the intake.. mine did it when we went for that long cruise when Dawso was in QLD..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
justed pulled apart my pre-turbo intake pipes and found they were full of oil, must have been some SERIOUS blow-by. Time to get a catch can :( just hope the oil finds its way out of the system sooner rather than later. CBF taking my front bar off just to clean my intercooler...

are they new oil or black almost like crude oil?!

G

Unregistered
its a mix of new and old oil- definitely not caked on though

Top Bottom