Auto Box Problem

Biggums

97 COTY Legnum
Lifetime Member
First Name
James
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
Hey guys I need some help! My auto gearbox has given up on me I think...

I went to throw it into Reverse and it jumped back a bit which I thought was weird but didn't think much about it however I got worried when it wouldn't go into drive so I tried again and on the third try it went into drive however it didn't show the light on the dash that says what gear it's in. Decided to take her for a drive around the block to see what's wrong and it wouldn't change gear and felt really sluggish with no pick up whatsoever...

All while I'm in my last week of work so I can transition to an Automotive course (I'm also 18 with basically no money).. So guys is it fixable? or am I in for a new gearbox?

I've searched all over the forums but can't see anyone else with my problem or anything similar to it...

JamesGC

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
97 Legnum (COTY)
mine went into some failsafe mode where it stays in the same gear too. ended up just needing some transmission hose cleaned or something. mechanic did it so idk exactly.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
either buy a second hand box. or do a manual conversion

Kilian Hensel

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kilian
Drive
Legnum VR4 1997
I have also some harsh shifting and rattling noises, while the Transmission is Cold and also some high frequency noise like cheap Computer Coils do.

I want to Change the Transmission to a nother one.
Does anyone know, if the W5A53E6B is interchangable with the W5A513E6A? What is the difference?
My car should have the A one, because it is a early model of 1996. But I checked the engine bay, and it is the B one.
But the B one ist nearly nowhere available. Could I use the A one instead with the same ECU?

Kilian Hensel

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kilian
Drive
Legnum VR4 1997
Yes, I know, but I did one already a while ago, and it did not help that much.
It is Always better when the car is warm, but still, the noise is Always there. I could imagine, that the pump is leaking somehow..

KRAVITZ

Idling at the Lights
First Name
KRAVITZ
Drive
MITSUBISHI 380 (2007)
MITSUBISHI GALANT VR-4 (2001)
Hey guys, I kinda have similar issues with my tranny.
When I shift gear from Park to Reverse, it takes a second to go in gear & once its in gear the car jolts back.
Also the same thing when I put it on Drive.
Checked the oil level, normal & clean as it should be.
it's just the first gear that jolts. No issue while driving.
It's the same either in cold state or warm.

Took it to couple of mechanics & explained the issue, they drove it for a bit & immediately told me that I have to change the Tranny.
But do keep in mind that those mechanics have never heard or played around Galant or Legnums.
Also the reason I can't trust their words is because I have been driving that Galant for a year without having any kind of major issues with it, it's just recently the jolts started to get on my nerves hence here to figure out what step I should be taking for it.

I would appreciate any help or advice I can get or better yet guiding me to an experience Galant/Legnum Mechanic shop to have a look at it.
Thanks in advance.

I have a 2001 Galant VR4 located in Dandenong.

Biggums

97 COTY Legnum
Lifetime Member
First Name
James
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
Hey guys, I kinda have similar issues with my tranny.
When I shift gear from Park to Reverse, it takes a second to go in gear & once its in gear the car jolts back.
Also the same thing when I put it on Drive.
Checked the oil level, normal & clean as it should be.
it's just the first gear that jolts. No issue while driving.
It's the same either in cold state or warm.

Took it to couple of mechanics & explained the issue, they drove it for a bit & immediately told me that I have to change the Tranny.
But do keep in mind that those mechanics have never heard or played around Galant or Legnums.
Also the reason I can't trust their words is because I have been driving that Galant for a year without having any kind of major issues with it, it's just recently the jolts started to get on my nerves hence here to figure out what step I should be taking for it.

I would appreciate any help or advice I can get or better yet guiding me to an experience Galant/Legnum Mechanic shop to have a look at it.
Thanks in advance.

I have a 2001 Galant VR4 located in Dandenong.
Mate same exact problem with my girl and the only thing that has fixed it is changing the gearbox I'm afraid

Altair6681

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
2001 Legnum VR4
1986 VL Commodore
1984 VK Commodore
2008 Ford Focus XR5
I had a problem with my autobox a while ago where it was randomly dropping out of drive and reverse would start slipping if you went too fast, ended up being the electronic gear selector/sender (white thing ontop of the gearbox with shifter cable going to it) needed to be adjusted, they get water in them too so unbolt and clean it out the adjust it in P,R,N,D making sure the light comes on the dash

Altair6681

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
2001 Legnum VR4
1986 VL Commodore
1984 VK Commodore
2008 Ford Focus XR5
Oh nvm this thread old as shit lmao, but in any case I would try this before changing auto

KRAVITZ

Idling at the Lights
First Name
KRAVITZ
Drive
MITSUBISHI 380 (2007)
MITSUBISHI GALANT VR-4 (2001)
I had a problem with my autobox a while ago where it was randomly dropping out of drive and reverse would start slipping if you went too fast, ended up being the electronic gear selector/sender (white thing ontop of the gearbox with shifter cable going to it) needed to be adjusted, they get water in them too so unbolt and clean it out the adjust it in P,R,N,D making sure the light comes on the dash
I will give it a shot & see if that would fix it.

Top Bottom