Auto stuck in 3rd gear, Please help:(

G

Unregistered
My sister has knacked my Legnum VR4.
She left the lights on and ran the battery down and someone disconected the battery, Ive done this before and the car would start in 2nd but would run through 3rd 4th and 5th and all I'd have to do is take it for a long drive till it sorted itself out.
This time it starts in 3rd and wont changed up or down and the neutral light flashes about once a second, It does reverse but kind of bangs into gear. Looked at the fuses but cant see any breaks but not sure where to find the gearbox fuse or what it looks like.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards Greg.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If the neutral light flashes and it locks in 3rd it is normally a problem with the gearbox, either overheated or low on fluid.

The cause of your problems could be that, it could just be an unlucky coincidence, or of course it could be something just related to the electronics.

If you have nice red oil that is on the dipstick at the right level then I would look at all the connectors. I think there is either 1 or 2 connectors that plug straight into the gearbox. Other than that you could try resetting it again and hoping that it works the second time around!

I guess it is possible that something has fried the trans ECU which is causing the problem, perhaps a voltage spike or something. You should be able to borrow one from a nearby member.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I've had that happen mate.

Turned out the transmission fluid had totally drained & completely wrecked the gearbox.

$2500 to replace it.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
G'Day Greg,

Firstly, welcome to the club. :)

Secondly, and unfortunately, banging into reverse and locking in third is caused by a rooted low reverse clutch pack/low reverse wave spring. Its locks in third (Limp mode) as the box overheats becasue of the slip in the clutch pack which now has free play since the supporting spring is no longer holding it in place. $1500 to have mine fixed/upgraded with some other bits done as well.

Sorry mate, but thats what it is. Hope you can get it sorted.

And don't blame anyone except Mitsubishi, they put a dodgy part in the gearbox to start with and it could've failed on anyone. We're up to almost 10 members who have had the same issue now!

:(

I feel for you as I have already been there. It really sucks.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
had the same prob. was a fuse which is next to the drivers kick panel. auto elec checked and replaced it for $5. easy fix.

G

Unregistered
Thanks for all your input guys. Obviously I'd love it to be this fuse that Steve is talking about but which side of the kick pannel do you mean, Left behind the center console or on the right where all the other little fuses are?? Dont think im gonna be that lucky though, I never usually am.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
well, i had N flashing once. about 2 weeks ago and i just restarted the car and it was fine. Check the fluides and it as ok. little rough from second to third and fourth to third on cold start but seems ok when it is warmed up.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Dude, are you in Newcastle NSW ?

If so, I've been struggling to find someone half-decent up there to service the car.

I've been told Barry Stace is a very reputable workshop in Islington I believe if you want to take it somewhere to get looked at.

G

Unregistered
No Brad mate I'm in Newcastle in England:) Legnums are like rocking horse sh*t over here but I recently toured NZ in my beatles tribute band and found out that everybody has VR4s over there so thought I'd be better off coming on here and asking you guys for help. Not many garages over here are even willing to open the bonnet:(

G

Unregistered
There are plenty of Legnums in the UK and a good few guys who would be able to help you out. Have you tried CVR4

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Was your slamming into reverse though Steve?
yep it sure was. first time it happened, i thought i reversed into a pole or something.

i think its more the car dropping from 3rd gear to reverse, not a very smooth transition.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Ah true, well that should be it then!

Can tell you that thats what mine was doing (Not from third though) when my wave spring went though, but the blown fuse sounds a lot more logical in this situation :)

G

Unregistered
Finally got a diagnostic to read the car and it came up with '2nd sol open' and 'UD sol open' . Any of you guys have any idea what this means?? The AYC light is also on.

G

Unregistered
It means a couple of the gearbox solenoids may be faulty or it could we a wiring fault to the solenoids in question

G

Unregistered
The solenoids aren't very expensive but a solenoid fault may point to something else at fault. You can remove the solenoid cover to check resistance values but it is probably more likely to be a wiring fault.
I found the loom in my brothers car had been damaged where it joins the main engine loom. Does the fault come back after a ecu reset

G

Unregistered
Yeah the fault is still there after resetting ECU, Also the AYC light is on too.

G

Unregistered
You'll have try and check the resistance of each solenoid to see if they are in spec

Top Bottom