Best way to remediate old fuel?

Jezzza

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jez
Drive
2000 Legnum
Hi guys..
Ok so as I changed the fuel filter the other, I noticed that the fuel was quite dark
And now a light bulb in my head has gone off!

The car stinks when running (like varnish aka. old fuel) and has troubles first starting up
So this is pointing me to all the signs of old fuel! I dont know the last time fuel was put in, but silly me assumed the last owner did not long ago
And here I was thinking it was running rich :|

Anwyays..
What can I now do to remediate any potential "blockages" or "damage" to the injectors?
Can I just run some injector cleaner through it?
Im going to drain the old fuel straight from the pump, and fill up with new 98

I drove the car home, and a few times around block. Never throttled it hard.. Should be ok?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Keep in mind that draining straight from the pump only takes fuel from 1 half of the tank. Normally the fuel is siphoned from the passenger side by the return flow from the engine.

Injector cleaner sounds like a good idea but there shouldn't be physical blockages as you still had the filter in place.

Good thing your pump is still running, the last one I saw in old fuel was rusted solid...

Jezzza

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jez
Drive
2000 Legnum
Thanks. Theres actually not much fuel in the tank.. so I might even try to dilute it with a full tank of 98 and injector cleaner.
Hopefully that will stop it.. otherwise I have to drop the tank (or tanks?)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Dilution is a good bet I'd say, I doubt your fuel is as bad as the last one I saw, the fuel had even turned all the rubber in and on the tank to mush.
16934319_1303222439762727_1406713648_n.jpg

1 Tank btw, but arched down the middle to go over the tailshaft, and only one of the hatches is accessible with the tank in the car.
16997103_10212366971629156_793604034_n.jpg

Top Bottom