Bonnet Scoops/Air Vents & rain

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Might sound like a silly question but with the recent bad weather here this is something I've been wondering about..

Having a bonnet that has vents/scoops in it, does that allow rain to get inside the engine bay of the car when it's raining while driving ?

Does this have any affect on the performance of the engine itself ?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
in the cars I've seen that have had bonnet vents for a long time, the hose coming out of the front turbo has gone rusty over time, but there are no electrics in that area anyway.

Think of all the water that would go in when you're driving at 100kmh through a storm anyway

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Thanks Brad,

Yea it was a curiousity question anyways...

Cheers for the help.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
yea my front pipe has rusted a little as has a shield just below but nothing bad

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You need a catch-pan and drain hose attached to a lever from the driver's compartment that you can slide over the ports when it's raining, and pull back out of the way on hot days. Yea yea, I know that all sounds like WAY too much effort, but it would solve your rust problem ;)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The only problem you will get is when water gets into the spark plug 'ports'. It will cause the plugs to arc across to the head and misfire. Have this problem reasonably often with my drift car, not sure how protected the plugs are on the 6A13.

G

Unregistered
6a13 had a large plastic cover over the motor ... I would guess only rust would be an issue. How is the EVO bonnet laid out underneath ?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I realise that these motor's have that cover, but does it form a water tight seal around the plug holes?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
... does it form a water tight seal around the plug holes?

i believe it does.. well not that much anyway.. at the front cylinder bank you've got the coils in there.. so its not just the plugs you gotta worry about.. there are nearly a dozen of wires under that plastic cover..

Top Bottom