brake calliper and rotor compatibility

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
Hi guys, have searched but i really need to confirm by some one who did it or came close.

I have some issues with my brakes. My front pads were wearing off unevenly. When i got my pad changed, if you look from the top, the left over meats looked wedged. uneven wearing. Possibly stuffed up piston or need bleeding.

I was fortunate enough to be donated with second hand front and rear brake calipers from a pure gentlemen (oh he was gentle:p) including decent conditioned Project Mu front rotors from Face lift galant

I have pre-face lift legnum. I know I know. galants and legnums have same brakes but would they be any problem with changing them over? I just wanted to make sure.. After i found out the intercooler hose is different with face lift and pre face lift (for someone who did not know.. it IS different and i was like "huh?") i need to makre sure of everything.

also, what would be an appropriate cost for
1. machining the front two rotors
2. inspect and replace calipers
3. bleed the brakes

By the way, i got new front pads few days ago so is it ok to keep the same pads on my car?

G

Unregistered
The facelift caliper will fit as long as you don't use the facelift hub carrier. The slide pins are the same distance apart. It sounds like either a sticking sliding pin or piston there fore the slides may need a good clean out.
As long as the pads are not grooved they should be fine or have uneven wear already

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
what I usually do is, push out the piston (not to the extent that it pops out) then rotate it.. so it looses its sticky-ness..

othwerwise just get a service kit for it..

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
thanks Christiandel, might try that.

I have read the thread and will read them over again. Great help there. So, just bleeding fluides would not be sufficient to be called "full brake service" then.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'd suggest the calipers are screwed, I had the same on my Turquoise VR-4 when I got it, with really uneven wear on the pads.

All parts are compatible as others have said, apart from the half of the caliper that bolts onto the hub carrier.

Top Bottom