Brake Fluid Recommendations

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Guys what fluid do you recommend? I was reading about EBC's BF307 fluid the other day and wondering if it's worth chasing up...

EDIT: I realised I'd hijacked Trav's thread and as this discussion could do with a thread of it's own, I've moved it :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
ATE Super Blue is very good. Castrol SRF has the best 'wet' temperature rating but is known to last for a shorter period of time, measured in months rather than years.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Guys what fluid do you recommend? I was reading about EBC's BF307 fluid the other day and wondering if it's worth chasing up...

EDIT: I realised I'd hijacked Trav's thread and as this discussion could do with a thread of it's own, I've moved it :)

What do you want it to do, How much do you want to spend?

Don't use EBC, it's crap, for your application (if it's for the Legume) try Castrol SRF as Brad has suggested, its relatively cheap and good quality.

Motul RBF600 is also a weapon of choice - but i change mine after every track day

G

Unregistered
as posted, +1 for the motul fluid. i run that in my track car with braided lines and slotted rotors/decent pads etc and no dramas whatsoever...worth it imo :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ok, your answers have created a few new questions:

1) Why are some fluids only rated to last such a short time? Are they chemically unstable? Do they break down with heat? What happens to them and how can you tell they need to be changed?

2) What criteria should be used to evaluate / compare brake fluids? Obviously their heat tolerance (boiling point) is critical, but what other factors should one look for?

3) Does anyone know of any qualitative comparison tests and their results?

4) From the sounds of things, there are (as always) track use and street use fluids. Why would a track use fluid not be applicable in a street car? Is it purely because of the lower life-span of higher heat range fluids? Or are they just really expensive? Or is there some other reason?

I'm sure all these sound like completely newbish questions, but you can't learn unless the information's there for you to absorb ;)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ok, your answers have created a few new questions:

1) Why are some fluids only rated to last such a short time? Are they chemically unstable? Do they break down with heat? What happens to them and how can you tell they need to be changed?

2) What criteria should be used to evaluate / compare brake fluids? Obviously their heat tolerance (boiling point) is critical, but what other factors should one look for?

3) Does anyone know of any qualitative comparison tests and their results?

4) From the sounds of things, there are (as always) track use and street use fluids. Why would a track use fluid not be applicable in a street car? Is it purely because of the lower life-span of higher heat range fluids? Or are they just really expensive? Or is there some other reason?

I'm sure all these sound like completely newbish questions, but you can't learn unless the information's there for you to absorb ;)

meh, newbie

1. Typically they are a higher Dot rating and absorb moisture like their life depends on it. The real 5.1 are really a racing aplication as they are very $$ Old fluid needs to be purged with another fluid before 5.1 is added. I used it once- its a fcuk around and not worth the hassel.

2. The better the tolerance to heat and boiling, the less the fluid will expand with the properties coming out of solution and hence "expanded" fluid that takes more and tends to "absorb" pressure before doing its intended work on the pistons

3. no

4. see answer 1

Hope that helps:D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Thanks Simon, and thanks for the link Pete, that helped a LOT! Looks like I'll start hunting for some super blue then :)

Top Bottom