Brake shims

fixedf

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Bus
Hi there; getting noisy squealing from brakes. Outside of it potentially being the pad material, I notice there are no shims on the back of the pads.

Where can I buy these from?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Brembos or stock brakes?
Brembos are notoriously sqealy but I havent heard of many issues with the standard floating caliper brakes

fixedf

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Bus
stock brakes. so nobody here runs shims? maybe i should try a different compound then?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Didn't say nobody runs shims, just that there aren't often people talking about issues other than Brembos so I though I would clarify.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
First Off
Welcome To OzVR4

Also maybe a stupid question but when was the last time pads were changed ? And if your not sure have you inspected the pads properly (both facing out and inside) ? I only ask as i had friends say the same thing and outside pad looks okay but inside is nearly gone.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome aboard. Chuck a post up in the introductions section and tell us about yourself and your car. :)

My brakes are stock calipers with DBA 4000 (or their new equivalent if they changed the designation) slotted rotors and x3eMotorsports pads. They squeal a teeny bit under a specific pressure range but I've never worried about it. It's not that loud and I just plan my stops so I can apply slightly less (or more) pressure.

fixedf

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Bus
I've only had the car for a couple of months. Unsure of the compound in them but I think they're the street-orientated Elig's so shouldn't be squealing. Plenty of pad meat left, inspected about a month ago when I bled the brakes.

A unrelated prior vehicle I owned had Brembo's with track orientated pads that I thought were noisy but I put up with that happily for years... this is seriously louder and is enough to bother me, especially on a car that won't see the track :)

Is anybody running the shims, or they don't bother? I guess I want to know if I order a set (assuming I find where the hell sells them) whether it's a waste of money.

Top Bottom