Buying a Legnum VR4

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Hi all,

I'm new here to the forum and the car scene in Australia.

I was looking for my perfect car for over 6 months but now given my personal situation need a car quickly.

I've settled on a Legnum VR4 type S (I think), and its 2000 model with 130k kms on it.

It's a manual and looks in good knick.

Clutch felt very light which was concerning and felt moving to second was a bit of an effort than the other gears.

Apart from that everything else felt good.

What things should I look for in a VR4? Twin turbos scare me so I'm a bit worries about the engine conditions. Engine felt very smooth and acceleration was good. Didn't see any smoke coming however I haven't seen it at a cold start.

I would really appreciate any of your help in this. I'm buying as a daily so need to make sure I'm buying a good condition car accepting issues of old age.

Thanks ks in advance.

Thanks,
Heshan.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Welcome To OzVR4

How much you looking at spending ?

Because I know of a great legnum for sale at the moment but in QLD.
Had the major serivce done, newish clutch (I'm sure) and serviced regularly so that already saves you a few thousand dollars.

Plus it has a few little goodies like, tuned, cat back exhaust, intercooler upgrade etc.....

Here:
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/manual-2002-legnum-vr4-8k-ono.15134/

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
My budget is around 8k and thanks for the suggestion as I love it.

However I'm in Sydney so getting it over here would be a bit too complicated. I need a car by next Saturday the latest.

Does anyone know roughly howuch it would cost to get the car down from Townsville, QLD to Sydney?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yea lol, read the thread of that car for sale.
They got a quote of $800 from townsville to sydney (depot to depot) im sure if you contact the seller you guys will work something out and never know if you do go ahead might have it by saturday ;)

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Thanks. I'm working on that in parallel.

Is there anyone who can help me find out how the gearbox in good condition feels on a VR4. Should the clutch be really soft?

Anything else to look out for?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Stock vr4 clutches are
Light from factory. Don't be to concerned. If it isn't slipping it's good.

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Thanks Trotty and unfortunately I couldn't go for the Townville Leggy as I had to get a car soon. So got the one I test rode a few weeks ago from Liverpool NSW.

The car is in good knick and drives well. Lowered more than my liking and 18" rims I bought can't go on cuz of this..

Attachments

• IMG_20150823_112209_lowres.jpg
    IMG_20150823_112209_lowres.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20150830_210522.jpg
    IMG_20150830_210522.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20150831_100113.jpg
    IMG_20150831_100113.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150831_100141.jpg
    IMG_20150831_100141.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 14

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Looks
Like a nice clean ride.

How many kms on it? Do u know if the major service has been completed?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I had my clutch replaced with an NPC clutch and it was really light. So I wouldn't be too worried about that.

heshan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Heshan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR-4
Only issue is some times I feel the gear going into 2nd and 3rd have a crunch feel but no noise so I'm wondering whether its something with the lever or the pumps. No slips but never really driven it hard yet.

@trotty its got 130,500 on the clock now and I'm told the timing belts changed but no records of it. Are there any telltale signs to look out for? Engine runs smooth and revs are steady at the moment.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Easier way is to remove timing belt cover and check belt. It will have signs of wear. Usually if it's old the printing will be worn off.

Top Bottom