NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
hi guys,

The leggy has had a clunk for a while now, its only when the drivetrain has load on it and then you let off. most noticeable in stop start traffic. since putting in a solid rear mount a whine has been audible as well and the clunk remained the same

i guess maybe it seems to be narrowed down to the transfer case? the testing i did this afternoon was jacking up the front and put it in neutral. the marks on the tyre i've drawn are how much you need to turn that wheel before the wheel on the other side engages and starts turning (and also you hear a clunk) then it turns a little more and then stops (due to the rear wheels trying to turn) i wish i could have gotten both ends up but i've lent out my stands

AYRccF3l.jpg

does it sound about right that it'd be the transfer case? gearbox seems to be perfectly fine, no problems shifting

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Could you feel the clunk though? Mine is like there is some huge slack it's taking up

Thanks for the reply. Mine is due for a fluid change this weekend coming

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Mine is an auto too, i'll see what else i can do to diagnose it before pulling it down. probably best i get it on a hoist

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I did get the odd clunk when the car was cold and the auto trans fluid was getting low. Topping it back up fixed it.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
clunk is gone, had a manual conversion tho lol

i suspect it was the gearbox mount bush tho, it had sagged again in only 2-3 years

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
My auto wagon has a similar clunk which is sorta only noticable going from forwards to reverse or heavy decel using tiptronic.
going to check all the mounts when I manual convert it soon.

Top Bottom