Christchurch Earth Quake: Feb 2011

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I agree, both are massive tragedys but this is the Christchurch Earthquake thread, not the What Is More Tragic thread.

So many bad things seem to be happening lately, hopefully everyone here is OK and all you friends and family also.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I also think it is sad that this is getting so much more coverage than the situation in Libya.

+ 1000, or minus whatever Mr Kiddy Pron said.

This earthquake is a horrible thing, but it's like comparing someone's car breaking down vs a car crash.

Obviously this is getting more coverage due to it's geographical location and our media is heavily filtered.

G

Unregistered
Slightly off topic, but not to mention the coverage the floods in QLD got compared to the resulting flooding that followed in NSW & VIC which media wise was almost non-existant, let alone the serious flooding that is now happening in SA on the Murray River and what has resulted from it bursting it's banks... Consistancy and equality are never in the same sentence as "Media"...not only that, but compare the QLD flood coverage to that of the multiple cyclones that have hit the Northern regions of Australia lately...it's been almost non existant, and no follow up coverage etc. Almost like it's been forgotten and never happened!

The media see things as Ratings, and Ratings only. They don't care about anything else.

Did anyone see on the news last night the guy on his mobile in NZ who was all bloodied and covered in dust after surviving his building collaspe and was on the phone trying to contact family and the media were trying to talk to him and he simply pushed them away with a disgruntled face and said "I'm not in the mood to talk about it right now!"...Good on him!

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
I don't know what to say really, apart from I hope the everyone in Christchurch is staying strong and banding together to get through this.

I have to say i'm disappointed Libya rates a mention in this thread, they weren't affected at all by this disaster. Their plight should be in another thread, not this.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I agree, both are massive tragedys but this is the Christchurch Earthquake thread, not the What Is More Tragic thread.

Exactly. If douchefag & hellaflush boy want to discuss Libya, then go & create a thread & bring it up, not wait until another disaster happens & try & compare them.

This earthquake is being mentioned as the worst for 80 years. There are so many members on here from NZ, as well as NZ members themselves & it's so close to us that of course it's going to big news to us here.
Libya has been on the news every day for nearly a week... it's not hard to get news for it.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I too would like to pass on my thoughts to all that have been affected by this tragedy. Lets hope the death toll doesn't continue to rise. Can anyone local advise me as to what the building code in NZ requires for earthquake protection? I didn't realise NZ had so many quakes until I read this thread. Obviously they are normally a lot smaller with much less impact.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Exactly. If douchefag & hellaflush boy want to discuss Libya, then go & create a thread & bring it up, not wait until another disaster happens & try & compare them.

This earthquake is being mentioned as the worst for 80 years. There are so many members on here from NZ, as well as NZ members themselves & it's so close to us that of course it's going to big news to us here.
Libya has been on the news every day for nearly a week... it's not hard to get news for it.

WTF man, why are you trying to turn this thread into a fight? Relax. It isn't appropriate.

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
I too would like to pass on my thoughts to all that have been affected by this tragedy. Lets hope the death toll doesn't continue to rise. Can anyone local advise me as to what the building code in NZ requires for earthquake protection? I didn't realise NZ had so many quakes until I read this thread. Obviously they are normally a lot smaller with much less impact.

Being a while but I think its this one =)
AS/NZS 1170.X:

This was a result of the Napier 1930's Earthquake.

There are standards for everything (even a storm water grill has a council standard) , but it changes depending on what district you are building in.

Just pulled someone out alive from the rubble,

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Thanks for that, glad to see they are still finding survivors. It is such a shame we have to get so many reports from commercial tv stations with their ratings orientated views and stories.

sanchez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
rodrigo
Drive
legnum
Sorry can't help myself.... I hope that all those affected by the disaster that has befallen those in NZ are doing well in these really trying circumstances. I also applaud those who have mentioned Libya, however and it's a big however, all you have mentioned is the political and (possible) financial ramifications! I have read through this thread and not once have I seen " Oh what of the socio-economic ramifications for Christchurch now, what will it cost us to get back to where we were before?". All of it, bar none, has been for the concern of the individuals involved, oh the humanity! NZ is very close to our hearts on this forum as we have many, many members from this area and as such it rings a rather large bell close to us all. As for feeling cheated by the media...apparently you seem fairly well versed at using a thing called the Internet, and we don't live in a place like say Libya (completely state owned Internet, hence why they can cut themselves off completely from the outside world electronically, oh by the way the phone system is also controlled by Gaddafi's son) that allows you to locate news services external to the generic crap you are fed from mainstream media. As opinions are like a**holes, everyones got one, here's mine. I find it deplorable that your concerns are fiscally based. I would suggest that you start a thread with regards to Libya but if I hear one bitch bitch about oil prices while neglecting the plight of people who are only after basic human rights, then you could fairly safely assume that your ignorance will be tested.
End rant......phew!

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Nicely said... I hope more people are found alive as people have shown they can be quite tough in situations like this. Good luck to our seventh state :)

Top Bottom