Clutch Fluid Restrictor

G

Unregistered
Short Question: Do our cars have a Restrictor in the Clutch Release Cylinder?

Long Question: I was driving through the hills last weekend and as I got into the groove my driving became more aggressive and my gear changes quicker (manual obviously). As I quickly released the clutch pedal I noticed that the clutch was showing signs of slippage, this happened constantly through while changing gear (2nd to 3rd) under hard acceleration, but there were no signs of a slipping clutch while accelerating. And as I was coming to the end of the run and was back on normal roads everything seemed fine again.

After I got home I was wasting time looking/researching new clutches and what not, and stumbled across a thread on a thread on EvoOZ about the restrictor or "pill" in the Evo VIII/MR/IX's (unsure if they exist in the VII's or before). But what this restrictor does is "slows the fluid movement to the release cylinder to make for smoother clutch engagement/disengagement....or possibly just to help avoid too much drive train warranty work from hard AWD launches" (Taken from Evo Motorsports).

The benefit of removing this restrictor is that clutch engagement will be more direct and consistent. From what I have read as well it will also be less harmful to the clutch because with the restrictor in place, during that time when the restrictor is doing its restricting the clutch is slipping, which 'may' be what I was experiencing before if the VR4's have this restrictor.

So does anyone know anything about this, or is this a load of poppycock? :D

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Interesting..... May explain a few lingering questions about mine and also with other forum members :)

G

Unregistered
we have a clutch damper,
its the silver block just behind the slave cylinder,

i dunno how it works or what itsthere for
i assume is would be similar to what you mention,

but to be honest, if your using the Stock clutch for what i would call sprited driving,
it will slip, it just dosent handle abuse, (thats how i killed my factory clutch)

i do that same sort of stuff with my custom evo 8 clutch and i have no problems at all,
actually becomes more drivible when its hot and being given a bit of a thrashing

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I'm with Carsten, the stock clutch is poo :( When you get around to changing it Steve give me a hoy and I'll give you a hand :)

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the responses guys.

After having a bit more of a look around, I found some similar info in the Replacing the Clutch thread, so much for my searching skills. Though maybe this deserved it's own thread?

But like what has been said, given the stock clutch is rubbish I 'spose I'll take it a little more easier to make the clutch last longer and just replace it when necessary. Thanks for the offer too Trev, clutch stuff is pretty much uncharted territory for me so all the available help will be appreciated, that's if I don't take it to a workshop. :)

Top Bottom