Compound turbo setup.

tallest28

Idling at the Lights
First Name
leivon
Drive
galant vr4
I honestly think this setup with work,i myself was thinking of the same idea as mr trotty. using the twin turbo discharge to charge a bigger turbo,not too big
to kill the t03 but just enough to give some good boost.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Wrong way around, first turbo(s) need to flow lots of air. Td03s don't do that, even at low boost, too step a compressor curve. They need less volume to move, hence the bigger turbo pumping into them. Nash's idea could work. All involve lots and lots of work though.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
I think people are underestimating the amount of work involved in some of these theoretical setups...
Parallel TD04s (or single GT), E85 and maybe SAYC/New diff is about the upper limit you hit before cost starts to sprawl outta hand and into the unreasonable.
Sure, if money is no object, a twin-charged, multi-staged triple turbo set-up is possible... but why spend that much money chasing numbers a 4G63T could run for a fraction of the headache.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Thats like saying why not replace the 2.4GHz quad core processor in your PC for a 3.0GHz dual core processor because it can do more GHz

Maybe I wanna run mostly single threaded applications :p

Joking aside, that's exactly my point though... any of these staged / compound turbo set ups are going to be detracting from what makes the 6A13TT special. Trying to keep the low end torque but add top end boost is a sort of "eat your cake and have it too" scenario... typically, one is a direct trade off for the other.
My point was, if time and money were no object, sure! -- anything is possible... but at what point does the $ and elbow grease spent on the platform outweigh the returns.. where do you draw the line before it's all better spent on a different platform.

Top Bottom