Confusing Sunroof Problems

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Hi guys and girls, I haven't visited for a while, but it's nice to see how big the Australian VR4 community has grown :)
I'm still driving my 97 PFL these days and it's mostly been great, save for a problem which I'm hoping someone can help me with.
My sunroof is being weird. Very very weird.
I'll turn the key to start the car and my sunroof will sometimes automatically open without the button and will not close. Not exactly ideal with the weather we've been experiencing.
But then I'll jump into the car a random amount of time later (could be days) and the sunroof will close via the button (in short bursts).
The problem was only happening very rarely, but lately it happens every other time I jump in the car.
I've talked to lots of auto electricians around the Gold Coast and once I mention 'import' and 'sunroof' they don't want anything to do with it.
A few auto electricians have also looked at the car and told me they don't know what's happening and don't want to investigate further, after I've wasted time dropping the car off to them and picking it up with no result whatsoever.
At this stage the car has only got 120k on the clock and runs very well still, but this problem is making it really hard for me to use the car and is getting extremely frustrating.
So I want to know if anyone else has had a similar issue, what caused it and how did they fix it?
I'm working five days a week and have been renting a car for two weeks now and it's costing me a fortune. I can't even sell the Leggy because of the issue with the sunroof, so i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I love my Leggy and just want some answers...any help is much appreciated.
Cheers.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
Hey mate, I've had fun playing around with my sunroof, trying to diagnose the problem. With mine it was the sunroof motor. Yours sound like its related to the Sunroof motors ecu. When it inches when you press the button, it means that the ecu needs to be reinitalised or replaced. There is a procedure required to reinitalise the sunroofs ecu but I am not yet at this stage as I'm still waiting for my new motor to arrive from JP.

It could be as simple as holding the button for 30 seconds or as easy as disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after 5or so min. Like I said I'm not at this stage yet so I'm not 100% sure which is correct. Although you could try this- http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-tos-installations/483959-how-reinitialize-sunroof.html but I'm not sure of its compatible.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
No problems mate. If you want to drive your car around I would suggest manually winding the roof closed and disconnecting power to the motor so it won't open/close on its on. This way you won't have to hire a car!

xtech

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Legnum
Same problem with mine...
Happened a few times an I thought it was odd that it won't close for a few hours or a few days.
The last time it happened was on a rainy day an I was about to leave home. I turn the key an bam sunroof opens all the way won't close. So I remember I have a spare ECU so I figure I would try it. An thank god it worked and haven't opened up on me since.

But I still need to reset the ECU like u guys.

To calibrate the ECU It's not hard or simple either.... the directions are in the manual it says you will need a multimeter

Top Bottom