Crappy attempt at custom manifold design...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
As I am a shop detail drafty with 3d software I just had a quick attempt at designing a custom manifold; now this is done with no experience in this field and I have not measured anything and don't know what the piping & flange specs are for a manifold. What I am keen to hear is feedback on flow, best configuration with merging of pipes and pipe and flange specs.

Keen for feedback from anyone with direct experience on this.:)

ex_manifold.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
doc, that does look nice.. but i think you'll have to move the turbo end closer to the block since ours are v6...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Yeah; I realise it'll have to be pretty toit for it to work on our 6A13. I prolly need a front cut to work out clearances. Just really a play around.:) Has anyone got a manifold they can measure for me?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Josh take a look at Simon's post about his 6-boost manifold for his Sil80. While we'd need two for separate banks, it should give you some ideas for design.

G

Unregistered
anyone got the actual dimensions of the flange for the exhaust manifold, as i did this for a Nissan R31 turbo for a mate...I use Auto cad Inventor 2009 @ work....

easiest way to do it is to have the actual stock manifold to work off...anyone got one???

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hey Benny,

No rush on anything as I've run out of money to be able to do any more to my machine until next year!!:(

I'm mainly curious to see what each manifold looks like removed and to get some dimensions to the ports, aperture size, flange thicknesses and distance from exhaust port flange to the centre line of the collector. Once again, there's no need to rush with this; I'm more or less just seeing if my software is capable of detailing such a thing. I also understand that you would need to remove both manifolds and turbos to obtain any of this information. So a thousand thankyous in advance if you go ahead with it!

Thanks
Josh:)

G

Unregistered
they are already apart and i'll take some photos etc soon

G

Unregistered
ok peoples, i just ripped up a rufffy for you, with proper dimensions it can be pretty much a design to be manufactured off.

I modeled them off a set of manifolds for a mitso 3000gt....

Attachments

• manifold2.jpg
    manifold2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 34
  • manifold3.jpg
    manifold3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 34
  • manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 35

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Good stuff guys, one step closer to a bolt on turbo upgrade kit.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Awesome Stephen!! What program are you using? Can it produce shop fab drawings from the model? I'm using prosteel 3d on the AutoCAD platform.

G

Unregistered
they are all way too big fellows..our ones will have to be very compact.

G

Unregistered
Awesome Stephen!! What program are you using? Can it produce shop fab drawings from the model? I'm using prosteel 3d on the AutoCAD platform.

I use Autodesk Inventor Professional 2009

yes, once you have created your model, you create your workshop dwg's from your model...really easy!! once ive got a more acurrate model, ill shoot out a dwg to show you.

they are all way too big fellows..our ones will have to be very compact.

All good, like i said....it would be awesome if someone has the dimensions for the stock manifolds....and using my vr4 to guesstimate the space restrictions...i think we could come up with a very good start to a bolt on manifold......

this is the link to the manifolds for the 3000gt, i wonder if they even come close???

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?...1&ndsp=21&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU280&sa=N

G

Unregistered
see the smaller of the two on the right...that's very close to ours

G

Unregistered
Here is the rear one near the firewall. The front one is very much similar but down facing.
23092008716.jpg

23092008717.jpg

23092008718.jpg

23092008719.jpg

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey great pics Benny- man there's a heap of improvement available there...pity its the wifes car, i know what i'd be doing next he he :)

G

Unregistered
ok peoples, i just ripped up a rufffy for you, with proper dimensions it can be pretty much a design to be manufactured off.

I modeled them off a set of manifolds for a mitso 3000gt....

whats the deal with the reflections in the pipes.lol
i think this thread is going to become useful, thanks josh..
now we need to get a perfected design and give it to dave(rpw) to produce. would be great to have aftermarket manifolds

Top Bottom