Custom Cold Air Intake Setup

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Hey Guys,

Here's what I've created, a cold air intake for the Legnum as I've searched hard for intake setups for our vehicle which I don't believe exists except a pod adapter for our cars...

So with people doing work on the exhaust and other mods, I thought I'd do the intake first being such an N/A person from Heart

Reason why I did this is a couple of reasons
1)the Current snorkel pipe that leads to the air box is quite restrictive, best way to test this is putting a piece of paper in front of the intake, and you'll hear a bit of a flutter/suction
-from there try again with the paper but on the air box itself (Snorkel removed) and ofcourse the paper dissapears
therefore; more volume of air should be achieved for this vehicle

2)Where the Snorkel sits, under the bonnet wedged, take your grill off (car runs better) and visually, you can only see 8mm gap for the induction of the snorkel

So Here's how the setup works:

From my experience of the N15 SSS days and hanging out alot with the Honda Vtec boyZZZZZZZ induction is a big thing ha

So I've taken the Evo 8's that i've seen around, with the induction through the headlight.

The pipe I've used through the headlight is a 76mm Intercooler pipe (ideal size for induction as that's what it's used for)

From there I've used just the el cheapo irrigation ribbed plastic pipe (Plastic being non heat inductive material/or sourced at Autobarn/supercheap etc)
The Ribs have been taken into consideration due to 'water' this is an advantage as water/air will never flow the way you think it would but rather it'd go and bounce everywhere so water would sit on the ribs itself and sit there. It's also ideal to slit a couple of holes here and there in the ribs for the water to drain out

Also, the Ribbed plastic pipe is not 100% butted up to the intake pipe, again, rain water has been taken into consideration especially if you were parked in a standstill water would still be able to drain out from the bottom end of the pipe

From there, the ribbed pipe just plugs straight into the air box with the snorkel removed

As for the headlight, I've chosen to drill out the high beam side, I've used a 72mm holesaw supplied by bunnings for $10 and used my blunt and worn out grinding disc on the grinder to complete the 76mm diameter (keep in mind that the circle on the headlight must be an oval shape as the finished product, because the headlight has an angle to it)

To compensate the loss of the high beam, I've set up the the 'normal driving' light to the H4 bulb as opposed to the H1 (Where one bulb can be used to do both things at once, for instance your rear park/brake light does this)

Ofcourse it's not a direct flush plug in, so with a bit of tinsnip on the edge of the bulb fitting, it fits in a treat

Now ofcourse the current plug for the bulb is short of one pin/cable for the bulb to create the high beam, this can be achieved easily by visiting to the local wreckers and search for a car with the three pin plug with three leads. Wiring is easy by pissing off the old one to hook it to the new one, and choose the active pin from the high beam plug of the existing fitting from our cars to the centre of the new pin then you're sweet!

Here's a couple of images of the build and finished product

What you need
picture.php

Drill a 90mm hole at the back for a bit of extra play, this stuff is weird plastic, it's similar to the old asbestos fire proof backing boards used for switchboards, so mask is recommended
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=179

As you can see, I've drilled a perfect 72mm at front, but a black nicko was used for me to trim that extra bit off to allow the pipe to go through, blunt grinder was recommended:p
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=178

Result, two circle pieces
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=180

The Intercooler pipe that you can buy from Auto shops, I got this for $15
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=181

Stuff the hacksaw! It broke the blade! so just angle grinded my preffered length of pipe!
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=182

Test Fit
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=183

This is what it should look like, (if you have an Auto, the transmission cooler pipes would be in the way, so you must cut the pipe 'engine side' shorter to clear these)
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=184

Final Product
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=185
picture.php

Don't forget to use a bit of silicon around the edges of the pipe and headlight to make it waterproof!http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=186
picture.php
http://ozvr4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=27&pictureid=187

So far I've notice the amount of suction through the pipe is good! and a louder plumb back blow off valve noise as well!

-Don

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
WOW That's keen!

I personally would push the metal tube further in to make it more flush, but well done for being crazt ;)

G

Unregistered
NIce setup and very interesting. Would certainly work a treat for sure. +1 for ingenuity.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Similar to my setup except the pipe on mine goes underneath just right of the cooler and is angled down. Catches a lot of air but didn't have to use headlight space. I reckon ur one would get more air though.

IMG_0003.jpg

P1000360.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
A few people in the UK have done this with good results. Over in NZ we have to have all lights so we can't do it.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Yeah, I should've trimmed the outer part of the pipe so it looks a bit cleaner (again not too flush though, again if it's parked on a rainy day, the water drops could still at least drip 'around' the piping)

Why not? If I could allow more volume of air with the cooler ambient temperature, means the Intercooler won't have to work as hard to cool the same air down with the same ambient temp:bigsmile:

Here's a dodge drawing to come up with about me explaing in regards about the rainy day

picture.php

You'd have to remember, the ribbed pipe is going 'up AND left' so therefore, the air/water would bounce alot (being the blue colour)

The Red indicates of roughly whereabouts i've put extra slits/holes for extra drainage once car is in standstill

Also, you can see that the Ribbed pipe ISN"T hard but up against the intake pipe, again, water can still seep out that way, cause it's actually a really big angle there about 45deg

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
Why??????????????????????????????????????????????

Yeaaaahh im with ya.

Personally i wouldnt have cut the shit out of my headlight , maybe i would have fibreglassed something to replace the light. , so when im at the track (i assume this is for the track only?) i can have it in , then pull it out and drive home with my stock light installed.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Looks interesting.

I'd have to double-check, but I'd imagine there'd be good room behind the fog-lamp to fit a CAI. (to actually have a decent pod mounted down low in the front bumper).

This is the setup I had on my X-Trail and it worked beautifully. Obviously with the Legnum sitting a few inches lower, avoiding water-induction could be a problem.

Attachments

• CAI1.jpg
    CAI1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 183
  • CAI2.jpg
    CAI2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 168

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Did you do any back to back testing on this?

Looking at it, I'm wondering whether the gains would be worth the effort...

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
You should chuck a bell mouth on the end of it and you will find you get even more ait flow through the pipe!

mazdabellmouth.jpg

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
I actually did own a bell housing pipe, instead I had given that to my mate:p

As mentioned, I used to have it on my old car as well

Donkay20080712181900pslfile10.jpg

Which I guess you can do exactly like this setup if you've relocated the battery to the boot and go through where the 'driving light' is on the Galant/Legnums like this

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
You should chuck a bell mouth on the end of it and you will find you get even more ait flow through the pipe!

mazdabellmouth.jpg

That's what would work well if the fog light was removed and a trumpet like air funnel was used as long as its properly plumbed into an airbox like what BradC has.

G

Unregistered
id imagine this setup would be quite defectable and easy to notice by police. that and cutting the headlight open are the main issues....but other than that its a great idea

G

Unregistered
you wouldnt get much gains as your black pipe as its sucking turbulant air so there might be very small gain or none at all... in my book i would have thought about this mod a little longer..
but good job anyway..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Man that's keen. Yes it'll be defectable in its current form, no driving light and something sticking out past your bumper!@!

Also, i think you'll find that once you drive in the rain, if you haven't already that unless the intake bend is decent the water will still get there. You will need to cut a few holes directly opposite the 3rd red dot as the water will follow the air mostly, UNLESS there is a decent enough bend ie 90 degrees.
Yes i'm speaking from experience too.

Top Bottom