Custom Cold Air Intake Setup

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Conquer with Simon, on several fronts it is defectable, ADR says headlighting must be symetrical ie 1 headlight on each side or 2 on each side, not 2 & 1, also it cannot protrude from the headlight at all, so thinking as long as it does not sit past the outside of the bumper is in-correct. Nor would the setup in the pulsar be legal, you would have to remove the foglight from the other side so that lighting remained symetrical.... Your quite welcome to double check, but this is 100% accurate, apologies for pissing on your bonfire!!!!!!

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
It's okay guys! I know its a defectable item already(and no the pipe doesn't stick past the bumper), reason why I've attempted such a weird setup is the fact on the previous car (the Pulsar) I've never had been pulled over, (and trust me, that was more noticeable than the current Legnum)

But at the end of the day, all my lights work (including high beam for both sides) and fuel efficiency has been increased, But cheers for the comments:bigsmile:

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Don,

If it protrudes from the headlight "at all" its defectable, has nothing to do with bumber bar....
Your headlights no longer meet ADR because they are not symetrical, whether or not your high/low beams work on each side is not the issue, ADR states that headlights are balanced on both sides of vehicle 1x1 or 2x2 but it no longer complies with ADR because you are now in a 2x1 configuration.

Living in QLD helps because there seems to be a attitude towards modifications that differs from most other states by the authorities, but if you crossed into nsw or any other state I'm very confident that you'd be pulled over very quickly, unfortunately.

My concern is that if you have an accident, your insurance company would have grounds to deny your claim because your car is modied to a point where it no longer complies with ADR... (perhaps some of the members who work in the insurance industry could clarify this point - unless of course you disclosed this modification to them and they knowingly accepted the policy with this mod included)

If it improves economy - well done......

Other members who consider this mod, need to be aware of the implications, thats what I'm trying to get across......

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Kat,

As mentioned, I appreciate the concerns, and am well aware of the understanding of it being a defectable item and insurance situations :) plus you did mention about the bumper...
so thinking as long as it does not sit past the outside of the bumper is in-correct

(I'll have to give insurance a buzz about it now actually)

in speaking of the vehicle being 'balanced' in the 2x2 or 1x1 ratio...the way how it's mentioned, doesn't that mean...if I 'hack' the other headlight as well, and 'flush' mount both intake pipes, with even say...'aftermarket' Spotties fitted, does that cover the whole situation? being 2x2 still yet again?

(Not that I'd be doing that anyhow:D)

But PLEASE people, please don't make this into a huge argument, I've already understood the WHOLE scenario, even since my previous car, (I don't want this forum to become a Boostcruising website) basically this is a whole enlightenment of my 'idea on cold air intake' to the public. So basically I'm proud of giving 'it a go' at least i've tried something different and care to share ideas :(

But yes people as Kat had mentioned

Other members who consider this mod, need to be aware of the implications, thats what I'm trying to get across......

-Don

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
After seeing some Evo8s with the induction through the headlight just recently, this idea crossed my mind aswell haha.. but yeah I couldn't have been bothered to do it :p

Great job on it though dude

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
hmmmm, yes and no, its a real contradiction in terms...... you have changed the lighting configuration from the manufacturers specifications to which the RAWS Import certification was given which is the basis of its compliance with ADR regulations. If you drilled out the right hand headlight then yes the lighting system is balanced again. but you have modified the primary lighting of the vehicle. So you are really in a position of being damned either way.

Now it gets interesting, if you used the fog light area (this is classed as ancillary lighting) this would be allowable but it must be balanced ie both fog lights would have to be removed, also it cannot protrude from the original lines of the car......

there is a way around all of this by getting the modification approved by an engineer and him certifying the modification.... (hence how bullbars and the likes are allowed on vehicles-which protrude from the vehicles existing lines, they have engineers certification) But i would be surprised if an engineer would certify a modification on a vehicle that has had the primary lighting modified, its a grey area.

As I said, its a contradiction in terms.

As to notification to your insurance company, I would ask for a letter from them which acknowledges that you have notified them.. for example last week I replaced my standard front rotors to slotted/dimpled rotors, I notified my insurance company and they sent me a letter acknowledging this modification which i received today. My insurance policy clearly states that i have a duty of disclosure in respects to any modification/s made to the vehicle.

Its all beaurocratic bullshit I realise, but thats the world we live in.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
But PLEASE people, please don't make this into a huge argument, I've already understood the WHOLE scenario, even since my previous car, (I don't want this forum to become a Boostcruising website) basically this is a whole enlightenment of my 'idea on cold air intake' to the public. So basically I'm proud of giving 'it a go' at least i've tried something different and care to share ideas :(

But yes people as Kat had mentioned

-Don

Don, apologies if you have interpreted what I'm saying as being argumentative, truly this isn't the case, but with so many members commenting on its legality or whether it's a rolling defect, it clearly needed clarification.

The idea of these forums is for discussions that leeds to common enlightenment, we all share a love for our VR4's, I applaud your efforts and welcome your input, its great.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
No harm made ;) thanks for the input though, appreciate the words of wisdom Kat, at least I know whom to talk to about legalities of such:ROFLMAO: for next time

Top Bottom