Dan - 99 Galant VR4

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Hey Guys,

I thought it was about time that I introduced myself! My name is Dan, I live on the Central Coast of NSW

For the last 9 years i've owned an MZ20 Toyota Soarer which I converted to 1JZ and eventually had it making 293rwkw... i'm now married and plan to have kids soon, so a more family friendly toy needed to be purchased.

Last week I picked up the new toy, a 99 model VR4 Galant Series 2 Manual. I bought it with Tein coilovers, 3" Kakimoto cat-back exhaust, Recaro drivers seat (not one of the Galant/Legnum ones), turbosmart bleed valve, a pod filter and some 18 inch Avanti wheels.

Since owning it i've removed all of the useless stuff that was not working: A DVD GPS system and what seemed like a kilometer of cabling, a TV tuner and another kilometer of cabling, associated dash mounted sensors for both units, given it a good vacuum and found about $10 worth of change (woo!)

I went and got a set of Alpine Type R 6.5" for the rear, and 6.5" + splits for the front. I have installed a Blitz boost gauge, Apexi AVC-R, Bosch wideband sensor and AEM UEGO gauge, last but not least an Openport ODBII cable for some tuning fun :D After some careful research and the help of some mates all of the above was installed and the tuning began...

Lastnight we took the boost up to 1 bar, added a little bit of timing and removed some fuel from the mixture... Unfortunately we didn't have a Galant/Legnum in the virtual dyno so an Eclipse was used for comparison.

Tuning results below. Red was the first run, blue the second. The second run was in a slightly different location with a hill towards the end, hence the slight dip in power.

Dan

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Sounds like a good car to pick up! Useful mods already too. Most people like the standard airbox though :)

I too thought it was ridiculous when I yanked out the old Jap GPS system/screen etc. and there was a mass of wiring going pretty much everywhere in the entire car lol.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Welcome dude. Whereabouts on the mental coast are you located??

Can you make our Christmas cruise this Saturday ? Meet is at Maccas Thornleigh.

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Welcome dude. Whereabouts on the mental coast are you located??

Can you make our Christmas cruise this Saturday ? Meet is at Maccas Thornleigh.

I'm in Chittaway Bay, very close to the Tuggerah Westfield. Are you a Coasty too? Saturday sounds good, i'll have to check plans with the Mrs but i'd love to come

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yea I know Chittaway Bay. Knew a girl who did a runner on me from there (lol).
I used to be in Terrigal, but now live up in Newcastle. There'll be a few of us on Saturday so you're more than welcome to come along even if you can't make the cruise just come to Maccas & say G'day as there's a not a lot of VR4s in your area!
Check out the NSW section for more info.

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Sounds good. I'll do my best to be there and join you for the cruise. You'll be going past me on the freeway... interested in stopping in at Tuggerah or Ourimbah and continuing from there?

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
Welcome mate. I live bugger all away from you (Berkeley Vale), i'll keep an eye out.

Currently disassembling my ECU ready for tuning (7203), so happy to help or steal ideas.

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Welcome mate. I live bugger all away from you (Berkeley Vale), i'll keep an eye out.

Currently disassembling my ECU ready for tuning (7203), so happy to help or steal ideas.

Oh wow, yeah very close. I'm in Berkeley Vale often as a few friends live there. I don't think i've seen you around! The only Leggy i've noticed was the guy running the tinting joint in Tuggerah but he appears to have gone now.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
I'll be in Sydney dude on Friday, so no can do on the cruise down. Nor on the way back as I'm staying Sat night in Sydney lol.

Sorry, we'll need to have another central coast meet up somewhere. We have a fair few Newie boys too.

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Pics of the car added in the main thread after a quick wash, chamois and some tyre black!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Dan, why do you have the car's weight on your number plate? ;)

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Installed my RPW front pipes and Greddy Intercooler.

Front bar removed

Greddy cooler and new power steering lines fitted

Crash bar bolted back in place

Top down shot of the cooler (sorry, I get a bit arty sometimes)

Cooler front on

Joiner

All done!

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
Yep, it has to be done in April once i'm a bit more cashed up. Will pay beers for help.

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
what do you mean? I haven't modified it

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
the black center bit looks a bit off imo, but thats just my thoughts.

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Pretty sure its stock, it doesn't look painted. I haven't seen any others like it though

Top Bottom