Dr Josh's 1/2 way round Oz trip...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Here's some pics of our 6.5 week, 12000k trip. All up we only used 960L of petrol costing $1250 and an average fuel consumption of 9L/100km (including towns we stayed in).

Barkley Homestead
P1010529.jpg

P1010531.jpg

Camoeal
P1010532.jpg

Maryborough
P1010693.jpg

P1010827.jpg

P1010929.jpg

P1010940.jpg

One of many small birds that ended up head first in the grille.:sad: Poor things.
P1010961.jpg

Longest leg of the trip time wise was Sydney to Angaston (14.5hrs) and distance wise was Alice to Darwin (1500km in 12.5hrs).

G

Unregistered
Far out Josh! I thought my 2000km trip back in November was far, but thats nuts. Looked like a good trip!

The pic with the locusts is priceless though :)

How awesome is the VR4 for eating up the kms? :D

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
lotta carnage haha, looks like a good trip. whats in coober pedy? there is something but it escapes me. opals? i dunno

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
well at least having a continues long driving is well proven that the VR4 can take it.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Great shots.

Looks like you drove through a few locust plagues.

G

Unregistered
Thats one hell of a Sunday drive. Its good to see photos from across oz. Your dam lucky to have such a big country to explore

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I see you went to the only place where the world would pass wind - Coober Pedy

(Read: Coober Pedy is the asshole of the earth)

Yes its famous for opals and a very feral local population ;)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
whats in coober pedy? there is something but it escapes me.

It escapes everyone :lol: Coober pedy is a hole (Literally)

I think "Pitch Black" was filmed around there actually.

Definitely some good shots there mate, love the one with the locusts, I put some fly screen around my front grills when I drove from Oakey to Darwin, that seemed to work pretty well.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Good to see you're back in one piece man! (Oh, and the car too haha)

Thanks for stoppin by on your way past :D

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Looks like a great trip :) Totally want to do that one day!

When it came to filling up, did you have octane booster with you or just use whatever you could find?

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Dr Josh, you will be interested to know you got a reference in my latest column for HPI, talking about people in the country owning imports, keep an eye out for it in a few issues' time :)

Love that locust pic, that's hilarious!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Epic trip Josh, Id like to do the same with a camper/caravan on the back. Need to start saving for petrol money :p

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Far out Josh! I thought my 2000km trip back in November was far, but thats nuts. Looked like a good trip!

The pic with the locusts is priceless though :)

How awesome is the VR4 for eating up the kms? :D
My oath, these cars are just phenomenal and coast along beautifully. Never once got a sore butt!

lotta carnage haha, looks like a good trip. whats in coober pedy? there is something but it escapes me. opals? i dunno
Umm 46 degree heat comes to mind! Also stayed in an underground hotel which was fun.

well at least having a continues long driving is well proven that the VR4 can take it.
There was one road I thought the car would give up the ghost called the Cotherstone Rd between Capella and Dysart. Stupid GPS sent me down there seeing it was the shortest route. I belted a few rocks the size of shoe boxes but aside from a ding in the rear front pipe all was fine.

I see you went to the only place where the world would pass wind - Coober Pedy

(Read: Coober Pedy is the ####### of the earth)

Yes its famous for opals and a very feral local population ;)
It escapes everyone :lol: Coober pedy is a hole (Literally)

I think "Pitch Black" was filmed around there actually.

Definitely some good shots there mate, love the one with the locusts, I put some fly screen around my front grills when I drove from Oakey to Darwin, that seemed to work pretty well.
I thought collinsville was the rectum of the world followed by Mt Isa at a close second but Coober Pedy definitely has to be the rectum to beat all rectum towns.

Good to see you're back in one piece man! (Oh, and the car too haha)

Thanks for stoppin by on your way past :D
Cheers man no probs, was a good catch up and beer break!:D

Looks like a great trip :) Totally want to do that one day!

When it came to filling up, did you have octane booster with you or just use whatever you could find?
Only had to fill up with 95 octane a couple of times (camooeal and Coober Pedy) but didn't worry about octane booster.

Dr Josh, you will be interested to know you got a reference in my latest column for HPI, talking about people in the country owning imports, keep an eye out for it in a few issues' time :)

Love that locust pic, that's hilarious!
Awesome Kris look forward to it!(y)

Heh, nice pics :)
Cheers Matt good to meet you, hope all goes well with buying your house.:)

Epic trip Josh, Id like to do the same with a camper/caravan on the back. Need to start saving for petrol money :p
IMO I reckon you'd save money just staying in motels. That magic 8.6L/100km would disappear very quickly towing a 2+ton trailer and then you still have to pay caravan parks.

You did all that without cruise? *shudder*
I actually had cruise installed just before we left. $800 well spent seeing I had my feet on the dash mostly.;)

G

Unregistered
Josh, did you pick up many stone chips along the way, either in the paintwork or windscreen?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I remember reading somewhere that Coober Pedy means 'man in hole'. Quite fitting!

Great pics and what an awesome trip mate! I'd LOVE to do something like that!

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Josh, did you pick up many stone chips along the way, either in the paintwork or windscreen?
Now that you mention it I couldn't see any new chips!:)

I remember reading somewhere that Coober Pedy means 'man in hole'. Quite fitting!

Lol, do it man!:D

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum

'White man in hole' or "boy's water hole" depending on who you ask (Just spoke to some locals).
Those locusts make quite the odour once you get some heat behind the, my last trip up to Alice was during a plague.
Looks like an awesome trip, good to see the car was more than up to the task.

Top Bottom