Driving from Sydney to Adelaide. Suggestions needed.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Bit of a story, I travelled down to Canberra a couple of years ago and was on the federal highway behind a brick truck at good distance. Was thinking about overtaking but it was on one of those really long bends so I held off being double laned the whole way. Next this lady in a mini pasts me and is then sitting side by side the semi. Up ahead there was a ford falcon coming head on and fast, he swerves smashes into a barrier, mini pulls in front of the truck who slams his brakes clips her and sends her rolling of down the embankment. Fortunately a gap between it the truck and ford opened up for me. Lady in the now crushed mini was very seriously hurt. The dope in the ford decided he wanted to go back to sydney and did a Uturn back up the one way( federal hwy is split). Very freaky and happens so fast especially at 110. So I would say be patient tske your time and treat everyone else as if they are an idiot.

tidy legnum

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Duane
Drive
mitsubishi legnum , mitsubishi magna
Sydney to Adelaide is a fair slog. I recommend staying in Mildura over night. Dont carry any fruit or veg into SA, you'll have to dump it beforehand. What's wrong with Adelaide anyway? It's easy to drive around and the hills have some fun roads. You just need to take your time and look out for the idiots (admittadly there are a few).

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
Wow...I love OZvr4. Now my missus love it/you guys too. so many useful inputs. We are a big happy community aren't we :)

Will be careful while over taking. probably won't do it at all. that car doesn't have torque. being Auto made it worse.

bought a dash camera too. lols...just for this.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Hey guys, arrived at Adelaide safe around 2pm yesterday.drove 10 hours one the 1st day and spent the night at Balranald instead of Mildura(left at 7am instead of the planned 5am and wanted to call it a day before it gets dark.)
started at 8am yesterday. total drive was 18 hours. I drove 13.5 hours and my missus 4.5 hours :rolleyes:

no major issues,besides some dick heads that was tailgating(i slowed down more after), i had to come to a complete stop for cows crossing the road and a pigeon brushed our windscreen/mirror while flying across the road.

And lastly, Thanks for all the advises people.

(not looking forward to the drive back home.lols)

G

Unregistered
Glad you made it safe and sound mate :)

Sent from the fires of Mt Doom

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Hey guys, arrived at Adelaide safe around 2pm yesterday.drove 10 hours one the 1st day and spent the night at Balranald instead of Mildura(left at 7am instead of the planned 5am and wanted to call it a day before it gets dark.)
started at 8am yesterday. total drive was 18 hours. I drove 13.5 hours and my missus 4.5 hours :rolleyes:

no major issues,besides some dick heads that was tailgating(i slowed down more after), i had to come to a complete stop for cows crossing the road and a pigeon brushed our windscreen/mirror while flying across the road.

And lastly, Thanks for all the advises people.

(not looking forward to the drive back home.lols)

What are u driving back in?

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
If a trucky overtakes you and you flash him to let him know its safe, they'll normally indicate left-right-left as thanks. Make sure the lane is clear before moving into it. I nearly cleaned up my old celica when I found a dead roo in the right lane.

If you can get behind trucks (Not too close, save your paint) you can normally do most of the trip above the limit since they know where all the cops are sitting.

Carry extra water and oil in your car and a spare tyre. And a blanket.

Make sure to put lots of "bug off" or equivalent in your wiper water.

:D

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Next Saturday I'll be doing this too, stopping at Mildura on the way there/back. Probably in the Camry so my gf (P-plater) can drive too.

My gf was invited to talk at a neuroscience conference in Adelaide, so we're making a trip out of it. Airfares and car rental prices were prohibitive so we decided to drive down. We'll stay an extra few days and plan on seeing the Barossa Valley.

She'll be in the conference the night of the 26th and the whole day on the 27th. So do you guys have any suggestions for me to do to pass the time? Any places I should check out or visit while I'm there? Any tips/info/advice would be appreciated!

Edit: Any advice on accomodation/places to eat/etc would also be of great help. We're staying at yha the first two nights (with her peers), but are looking for a relatively cheap place for the nights after that.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Its good fun. First, you will wish you should have take the legnum when you drive on some beautiful country road, but you willl feel better later on when you see the bugs on the front mesh and bumper.

Prepare plenty of water during the drive Ben, PLENTY!!! lollies like the rest said.
Something that repels flies...THEY WILL ATTACK YOU when you get out of your car for breaks.
You got a dash cam? its useful, and also pretty funny if you encounter some funny incident. ( I had to halt to a complete stop from 100km/s for a cow standing still and staring at me in the middle of the road, and had to slam the brake when a fat pigeon trying to fly across the road)

Pass time? hmm.Go visit Jonson at Driven Motorsports, hehe. He always have nice car in is workshop.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
bring a jerry can with at least 10L fuel (hardly takes up any room), i've done long ass trips before and sometimes where you expect a fuel station, it can be closed, out of fuel (shit fuel too), not even there anymore.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Yes, Jerry can. You can borrow mine if you want ben, I bought it when I was doing this road trip.

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Hmm... I've got a 5ltr one which should hopefully do the trick. I don't have a dash cam, hopefully we wont need it lol.
I wonder if Jonson would be upset if a 94' Camry randomly rocked up to his busy workshop bahahah.

I kind of want to bring the leggy, but that mean's I'll be doing all the driving and i feel like there's less stuff to go wrong in the camry lol. I'll make sure to bring oil and some demineralised water just in case though.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions people! :)

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
5L will be fine, i bring 10L for the legnum because its thirsty.

i had the same problem doing a trip melb > dubbo > bluemountains > sydney and still ended up taking the legnum. it was definitely not the best choice in hindsight. she couldn't drive it so i did it all, fuel was a never ending problem, bottoming out everywhere, bumpy ride, noisey, scrubbing inner tyres on the rear with all the luggage plus nearly a grand in fuel for a week.

however i am taking it to port campbell soon, but only because there are so many interesting roads that way to choose from, going on a boring drive up to another city isnt worth bringing the leggy if you have an alternative.

we are going to sydney again in may (we go once a year by car) and this time using the swift again and sacrifice luggage space

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
The leggy drives better (stock susp, 17" wheels) than the camry. Surprisingly they use roughly the same fuel in city driving (although the camry can use E10) could be our lead feet hahah.
The main thing is definitely fatigue though, I don't want to drive the whole way there/back myself... Also prefer to wear out a camry than a vr4 :p

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Jon won't be upset. Lols. I drove to driven Motorsports the first time in a 92 lancer wagon that is factory MATT WHITE(read bad paint work).

Oh. Bring a back support pillow. I find it useful, sorta change the position a little after a period of driving is good.

During my trip, my gf drove 5.5hours out of the total 32 hours on the road. So...good luck Ben. Lols

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
yes, soon you will learn "i have a headache" can be used for more than one thing. you will be driving a lot

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
During my trip, my gf drove 5.5hours out of the total 32 hours on the road. So...good luck Ben. Lols

Yeah, Fran's only on her red Ps so even if she IS driving, she'll be driving at 90 lol.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Does the camry have cruise control? I really wish I had cruise control at that time.
also, visit this place http://www.bracegirdles.com.au/ at 31 Jetty Rd, Glenelg SA 5045 ‎
Great coffee, chocolate, waffle and unbelievable MOCHA!!!

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Nope, bone stock manual Camry :(
S'alright, no cruise control means we're less likely to fall asleep lol

That place looks awesome! Will definitely swing by there :) Thanks for the recommendation!

Top Bottom