VIC Dylbys Legnum

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Hey, thanks for the add.

I've recently gotten myself a legnum. It's in desperate need of a cleanup.

I picked it up not running, partly pulled apart, apparently needing an engine.

So far I've got the engine running, have put the fuel pump back in place and put the seats in properly.

I'm now waiting for the seller to get me the shift cables for the gearbox, and i am on the hunt for mounting hardware to put the driveshaft back in.

Once I have those installed I can actually drive it and find out if the engine is good under load and look for any other potential issues it has after sitting for 3 years.

As far as I can tell the only work done to it is the intake, upgraded intercooler and piping, full exhaust, and MAC coilovers.

20200207_182005.jpg
20200212_183744.jpg
20200212_183541.jpg
20200207_203750.jpg
20200212_183633.jpg

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Can anyone run me through how the shifter cables come out of these?
Disconnect the cable ends from the gearbox shifter mechanism and remove the cables from the bracket that holds them to the gearbox.
There are 4 bolts which hold the in cabin shifter unit to the floor and 2 M8 bolts which hold the cable pass through into the firewall. Once thats all removed you can pull the cables back through into the cabin of the car.

Its probably best to remove your airbox, and rear turbo intake pipe to allow access in the engine bay. And remove the drivers side knee pannel, center console and ecu to allow room to pull the whole shifter and cable assembly back through.

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Disconnect the cable ends from the gearbox shifter mechanism and remove the cables from the bracket that holds them to the gearbox.
There are 4 bolts which hold the in cabin shifter unit to the floor and 2 M8 bolts which hold the cable pass through into the firewall. Once thats all removed you can pull the cables back through into the cabin of the car.

Its probably best to remove your airbox, and rear turbo intake pipe to allow access in the engine bay. And remove the drivers side knee pannel, center console and ecu to allow room to pull the whole shifter and cable assembly back through.

Legend, thanks mate. Ended up taking out both knee panels to do it.
20200219_175301.jpg

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
As per Facebook, it is a heater transistor. Consider supporting the site and paying the fee so you can post in the appropriate sections for stuff like this.

See: https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/fan-recall-on-early-cars.16469/

Cheers for the link, very helpful mate.

My bad, will do better from now on

Anyway, I now have the cars running and driving.
Had a bit of an issue with it overboosting and cutting out/backfiring, turned out to be a combo of the EBC being set up wrong, and a vacuum leak where the boost gauge is Tee'd in.

Now getting a solid 10psi and driving well, but hitting the rev limiter at 5000rpm. Down the next rabbit hole we go haha.

Also have a loud whine from either the rear diff or transfer case, and a bad rattle from the transfer case.

Also gave her a wash and got my plates to go on it when it's registered.

20200226_174522.jpg
20200226_174442.jpg

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Hi Dylan, sorry this is a bit tardy, but welcome aboard and here's your template :)

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 17.3a

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Oils and Fluids
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info
- Posting photos, especially in the Classifieds

Posting new threads is restricted by default, for full access become a Premium Member:
- Upgrade to Premium Membership benefits

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
So update finally.

Swapped the transfer case for a replacement, now not whining or rattling away whenever it's moving.
Job wasn't as hard as it was made out it would be. 2 difficult bolts on top and got caught out by not knowing about the centre shaft but overall pretty straight forward and self explanatory.

Next plan is to replace the oil/filter, spark plugs, leads, upgrade the fuel pump, get it tuned and have the 5k rev limiter removed and see what we can get out of it.

Also have a set of new weather shields on the way to replace the stuffed ones on it.

20200429_164932.jpg

20200509_095315.jpg

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Been a while since I've updated so here's what's happened since June.

Car is registered now.
Have replaced the bonnet.
Got rid of the pod filter and replaced the factory intake.
RX8 front seats.
New dash pad.
Woodgrain gone in favour of silver trim
Currently in the process of swapping out the interior from tan to black.

IMG_20201125_165059.jpg
IMG_20201128_173832.jpg
IMG_20201214_183917.jpg
IMG_20201214_192602.jpg
IMG_20201220_125754.jpg

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Just wondering... Where did you get those rear seats from cause theyre not from vr4

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Came out of a euro import. Non turbo, fwd, 4 speed auto. I think they've been retrimmed at some stage though.

Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
Great work man! How did you mount the RX-8 seats - custom rails?

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Great work man! How did you mount the RX-8 seats - custom rails?

Kinda. I cut off all the mounting points from the RX8 seats, and made some 5mm thick mounting plates to bolt them to, that then bolt into the car. Only required one weld which I could probably afford to redo.

IMG_20201220_110140.jpg
IMG_20201220_105820.jpg
IMG_20201220_121701(1).jpg
IMG_20201220_125824.jpg
IMG_20201220_121402(1).jpg
IMG_20201219_194844.jpg
IMG_20201219_195301.jpg

Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
Nicely done! Cheers for the detailed reply, I'll hopefully be doing something similar soon

Top Bottom